Home Networking With Switch

yourbasicdj

Hi, I'm Chris and just found this forum today. Please help me!

Please bear with me on this one.

I have my cable modem going to my desktop. (XP) I ran a crossover cable to my laptop (XP) across the house to share files and internet. I also unplugged my laptop and input the crossover into my xbox to play online. It worked perfectly.

I grew tired of swapping the cables so I went out and bought a switch. I also bought a new desktop(XP). The new connections went cable modem to old desktop, straight cable from old desktop to switch, and then straight cables again to the xbox, laptop, and new desktop. Everything seemed to work fine. I was able to go online and share files between computers. IT was working for a week until today.

My old desktop and cable modem got powered down. I powered them back up but now I can't seem to access the interner or share files with the laptop or new desktop. The old desktop that has the cable modem hooked directly into it works fine but I don't share the other computers on the network. I have powered down all of the computers and tried to run the network wizard on all of them. When in the wizard for the old desktop I try to select the first option which is "This computer connects directly to the internet. Other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer." I select next but the next screen says "Cannot complete the network setupo wizard. Other computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In addition to its internet connection, this computer must have a connection to your network."

I don't understand how I can be getting these messages. I always used this method to connect to the internet. I even bypassed the switch and used the old crossover cable to go from the old desktop to the xbox. Still no connection. Then I went with the crossover from the old desktop to the new desktop. Still no connection. even after the network wizard. Please help! Any ideas?

BTW, you can send me an IM on AOL. My name is the same as my member name here. Thanks!