home networking + xbox live

jamescoe

At the current time I have 4 computers connected into a ethernet hub all sharing a wanadoo broadband connection, printers and files. The broadband modem is a external usb speedtouch. the 4 computers run 1x XP 2xME and 1x98. I am looking into getting Xbox live and therefore need a router but I have a number of questions about this as i am very unclear about routers and cannot find any information on them that is easily digestible.

1) If i simply replace my hub with a router can I still share printers and files?

2) Most routers I have looked at have a usb connection. Does the computer that the router is connected to be on for the router to work?

I have found out that I can connect a single-port router to my hub however I am also unclear about this.

3) If i follow this configaration will my network work in a similar way as present?

4) How would you connect the Xbox into the LAN? Into the hub or directly into the router?

Finally:

5) The wanadoo site recommends the speedtouch 510 or speedtouch 530. With one being multi-port and one single-port respectively. If anyone has wither of these would these be sufficient for my needs?

NB. I know the speedtouch 510 only has 4 ports and I have 5 devices but I am prepared to unplug 1 computer to play xbox live.

I appreciate your responses in advance,

James

beatmaster

jamescoe said:
1) If i simply replace my hub with a router can I still share printers and files?

First things first, you do not need a router to play XBox Live; i have 2 Computers and Xbox Live networked in the way im guessing you do.

I am using a standard 10/100 switch; installed as follows:

The 10/100 switch is connected to the computer downstairs, the computer upstairs, and the xbox.

The modem is plugged into the computer downstairs via USB, however, you can use another ethernet card and plug the modem into that.

Doing it this way, you will not need to unplug anything to use anything, providing you have the correct amount of ports, of course!

As for your file/printer sharing, there is no reason why you should not be able to share, i am able to print from both computers, to each computers printer, and share files and the internet connection.

I hope this helps