Home networking

way2evil

Markware17 said:
Some consider CAT6 to be overkill and CAT6 is a pain to terminate.

thats where i got my info from ;) i do think cat6 is overkill because you really dont need a gigabit network. if you do decide to go gigabit its very costly for the switch

Markware17

Thanks for quoting me :eek:.

CAT6 is really over-kill right now but you can install it if you want to. It is completely backwards compatible with 10/100 equipment. CAT5e can run gigabit so you can always just upgrade your hardware to hardware that supports gigabit without changing the wiring in the house. Also it depends on how much $$$ you're willing to spend :D. If you're on a tighter budget, stick with CAT5e. If not, go for CAT6.

CAT6 can be a pain to terminate but once you start getting used to it, it's really not all that bad. The main problem that people run into is dealing with the shielding on the pairs and jacket and the divider in the cable which makes it more ridged than CAT5 or CAT5e.

CAT6 does use RJ-45 plugs on each end if you wish to create CAT6 patch cable or you can use a patch panel depending on how "official" you want to get :). If you do use CAT6, make sure you get RJ-45 plugs, keystone jacks, and a patch panel (if you decide to get one) that are rated for CAT6. It really isn't a major issue but you will not run into any potential problems down the road.