Home Wifi/Gigbit network.

So what I have is a NVG448B Router provided by my ISP. It unfortunately is not great as far as overall coverage in my home. I have most of the PCs wired in a 1,000MBts network cat6 setup (kind of proud of myself doing it all myself) with the 3 bedrooms and livingroom now all having cable and cat6 plugs wired through the walls via a GB switch. What I would LIKE to do, is put a second router as a bridge in the living room. I want this to connect my PC in the living room to as well. I also have a laptop and a Amazon 4k box that I need a better wifi signal for (hence the bridge).

any suggestions on an inexpensive router that would work?

I also have a server I am attempting to set up in the spare bedroom for network storage (FreeNas) but that is a totally separate issue lol.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You want a switch. You don't need a router unless you are trying to isolate the stuff beyond it. You can get very inexpensive gigabit switches pretty much anywhere.

Wait they have wireless switches? how did i not know that! Thanks! you just made my day, now I have to go find one!

takemymoney.jpg

beers

Staff member
Wait they have wireless switches? how did i not know that! Thanks! you just made my day, now I have to go find one!
I know you were trying to be a smartass but APs do the same bridge functions.

bedrooms and livingroom now all having cable and cat6 plugs wired through the walls via a GB switch.
Why not just leverage one of these runs for another access point?

Darren

Staff member
I think @Cromewell missed the part about needing WiFi devices as well and was just recommending a wired gigabit switch.

Another AP on a different run makes the most sense, per @beers

I know you were trying to be a smartass but APs do the same bridge functions.
I wasnt, I got excited thinking it would be something easy to find now I'm sad again lol

I think @Cromewell missed the part about needing WiFi devices as well and was just recommending a wired gigabit switch.

Another AP on a different run makes the most sense, per @beers

another AP (access point)? Meaning another router that can provide a couple LAN connections and a WIFI connection?

The "issue" I was having is I was hoping for a suggestion on an inexpensive one that offers 1GB

Okedokey

If you have an internet connected sever id recommend a firewall appliance that has wifi like the '600 series' warchguard firebxes