Homebuilt Laptops

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In the fashion that we can make our own custom built PC towers and such, I have heard about that it might be possible to make our own laptop (although, understandably, with a much smaller selection of parts and at a higher cost). Is there any truth to this? And I dont mean those custom built notebooks you can get from some company, I mean really "home buillt"

:)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
With the direction of laptops or notebooks being towards much lighter and thinner, cramming more technology into a smaller place, I dont think think you will see homebuilt laptops as an option.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well yeah, I'm not concerned about size nor so much battery life. In truth my ideal notebook weighs 10-15lbs (really not noticable considering the textbooks ive got) and a battery life of 2:15. I'll look into this more when i have money to buy a scrapped notebook "chassis"

kermit

I'm looking to upgrade my laptop but as far as building you own it's probably not done on such a wide scale as desktops.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but to do so would require a CRAPLOAD of upgrading (i.e., the mobo) which would me you'd have to be able to buy the mobo somewhere .... any thoughts? :)

Echo_

making a laptop is a big hassle. usually people buy a busted laptop off ebay and repair it and upgrade grpahx card cpu and buy a screen to fit and a case to fit it all