hook two computers

bigrich0086

Not possible unless you have a router.

Switches are unable to generate IP addresses with out a router in the mix.

ISP Modem>Router>Switch>computers

bigrich0086

I mis read it, as long as theres a router in the mix your fine.

I deal with a lot of college morons that buy switches thinking its a cheap fix from router and cant get online in the dorms lol.

Geoff

VIP Member
As long as you have a router, then yes, connecting a switch to your router will expand how many devices you can connect to it. Usually routers have more then 1 port though..

2048Megabytes

Yeah, my router doesn't have more than one RJ-45 port so I can't connect anything else to it. Thanks for the information everyone.

bomberboysk

[-0MEGA-];1455950 said:
As long as you have a router, then yes, connecting a switch to your router will expand how many devices you can connect to it. Usually routers have more then 1 port though..
Consumer grade routers perhaps, commercial cisco routers are not combination switches/routers, they are purely routers with generally one ethernet/fast ethernet/gb ethernet input, and then one to two outputs.
Yeah, my router doesn't have more than one RJ-45 port so I can't connect anything else to it. Thanks for the information everyone.

What type of router?

Geoff

VIP Member
Consumer grade routers perhaps, commercial cisco routers are not combination switches/routers, they are purely routers with generally one ethernet/fast ethernet/gb ethernet input, and then one to two outputs.

What type of router?
I know that, I work with them all the time. I knew that he did not have a commercial router so I didn't bring it up to avoid confusion. Most home routers, even wireless ones will have typically 4 ethernet ports. Usually it's just wireless AP's that only have a single port.

konsole

ya just get a modem/router combo. I use a Linksys WCG200 thats a combo cable modem/router/wireless and it has 4 ethernet ports.

Geoff

VIP Member
ya just get a modem/router combo. I use a Linksys WCG200 thats a combo cable modem/router/wireless and it has 4 ethernet ports.
Although if he already had a modem that works fine there's really no reason to replace it with a more expensive modem/router combo, unless he's paying monthly for his current modem.

2048Megabytes

Yes I am paying a monthly rental fee for my modem. I would prefer to get a modem/router combination to save money in the long run. Any suggestions?

Bob692006

I've got a Belkin F5D7234 wireless router I picked up from Wal-Mart for $20 and it works just fine, plus it's got four output LAN ports.

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

I should have clarified myself and I apologize. I would prefer a wired router/modem. I do not want a wireless router/modem.

plutoniumman

What you've got is simply a modem; a switch won't work. :(
I suggest keeping your current modem, unless you don't mind attempting to tell your ISP your new modem's MAC address. I just see that going completely wrong for some reason.. lol

As for the router, I suggest you get a wireless router and disable the radio, incase you later decide you want wireless after all.

I've got a WRT54g from Linksys and it gets the job done.