Hooking Car Subwoofer Up?

K3rupt

Has Anyone ever heard of Hooking a Car Subwoofer Up through a Home Entertainment amp, then running the Amp too a 3.5mm Jack in a sound card?

I want too know if it is possible.

Please, Dont just guess, and tell me about the Ohms. . .

A Educated answer is appreciated.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
i did through a reciever, i used rca cable to go from the "subwoofer" output to a 360w 2 channel stereo to use for the amp. Then i just pluged the woofer's speaker wire up to the stereo, works like a charm and can push them about to its max.

If that makes since :p

Last edited:
i did through a reciever, i used rca cable to go from the "subwoofer" output to a 360w 2 channel stereo to use for the amp. Then i just pluged the woofer's speaker wire up to the stereo, works like a charm and can push them about to its max.

If that makes since :p

Something like that.

cheburns

Yea 800W is its max power I'm assuming... so it would still bump to everything the receiver can put out, but not its full potential I believe.

heyman421

banned
you need some sort of crossover, tho

and if it's a ported enclosure, you need a subsonic filter, as well

if you really want to run a component subwoofer in your house i would recommend either shelling out the dough for a plate amp, or simply buying a big 500-1000w computer power supply, and running your car amplifier off of it.

K3rupt

I have no idea what a Crossover is

Or a Ported Enclosure
or a Subsonic Filter

OR Shelling Out the Dough.

lol

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not sure if home theaters include them or not, but car amps include a crossover that can be manually set so you dont hear bass when there shouldnt be any, such as when people are talking or certain parts of songs. An enclosure is just that, it's a box which holds the subwoofer, you cant have just the sub sitting on the floor.

And "shelling out the dough" means spending alot of money.

heyman421

banned
a crossover is a knob on an amplifier designed to power component (individual) drivers

your home theater receiver is made to power full-range speakers, which have what's known as a passive crossover inside the box.

A crossover sets the limit to the range of frequencies you want a given speaker to play.

A subsonic filter is the same thing, but limits how LOW you want your subwoofer to play. A sealed enclosure, for instance, is essentially tuned at 0hz, so no subsonic filter is necessary. A ported (has a hole in it) enclosure is tuned to a specified frequency (usually as low as 20hz for SQ setups, or as high as 60-80Hz for SPL competition setups) and playing frequencies lower than the tuning frequency of the port can damage the subwoofer, regardless of the amount of power being used.

A subwoofer rated to take 2000 watts RMS, for instance, could easily be destroyed by playing something as small as 500w through it, and not using a subsonic filter

paratwa

You also have to be careful about the ohm rating. If the sub is rated at 2 ohms I would not connect it to a home stereo. Since most home set ups are rated at 8 ohms. If you connect a 2 ohm to an 8 ohm rated device you can burn it up.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];734373 said:
I'm not sure if home theaters include them or not, but car amps include a crossover that can be manually set so you dont hear bass when there shouldnt be any, such as when people are talking or certain parts of songs. An enclosure is just that, it's a box which holds the subwoofer, you cant have just the sub sitting on the floor.

And "shelling out the dough" means spending alot of money.

They do, thats why they have the "Subwoofer" output and you get nothing but clean bass no voices. The way i have mine hooked up is the only way i know of unless you buy a car battery to use inside to hook a car amp up.

Edit: or atleast mine does :p

Last edited:

paratwa

They do, thats why they have the "Subwoofer" output and you get nothing but clean bass no voices. The way i have mine hooked up is the only way i know of unless you buy a car battery to use inside to hook a car amp up.

Edit: or atleast mine does :p

You can get a converter that will convert 110 volts to 12 volts. No battery needed.

Usually the crossovers will be selective at 60 hz, 80 hz, or 120 hz. You can select which one sounds best for your subwoofer.

Also you can use a capacitor (caps) to eliminate the frequency's you do not want.

heyman421

banned
it's un-powered, tho

you still need to provide your own amplification, which defeats the entire purpose of his wanting to hook the subwoofer up to the receiver

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Get a 300w+ stereo/cd player and use it as the amp like i said in my first post. No crossover needed if the reciever has the "subwoofer" output then the RCA cable will go from the subwoofer output on the reciever to a input on the other stereo (ie. DVD ect.) then just plug the woofers into the stereo.

paratwa

What I have done is just run an rca cable from the back of my sound card to my home stereo receiver. You have to use an adapter cable that will convert from rca to mini din so that it will connect to your sound card.

Use a cable like the one in the following link.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ipod-cables.htm#m2rca

Some higher end cards already have rca type plugs on the sound card.

dakaptin

I have had similar dreams of hookin car stereos up to the regular home stereo system in the house.

In your situation, by the time you get a decent sub ($200) amp/stereo ($200 minimum) wires etc, you mite as well shell out an buy a reallly good 2.1 system for about 2-300 or 500 for a 5.1 thx surround sound system!!! an they doooo sound good!!