How Bad Is State Of My HDD ?

S3P3HR

Hi Guys

I recently noticed From 3 Programs ( GSmartControl - Catalyst Disk Info - Speedfan ) That My 1TB Seagate HDD is showing errors and Sector reallocateds . Here Is the Data :

Model : ST31000528AS
Power On Hours : 15439 h ( 643 Days )
Power On Count : 1091
Reallocated Sector Count : 605
Current Pending Sector Count : 1147
Offline Uncorrectable : 1147

Sector Datas are raw value and Programs are alarming those last 3 lines from above . Temp was fine and The Disk didnt got hit in any way that could cause these errors ... I Guess It is its old age ...

I Got 291 Unknown Error showing in GSmart and Every Self Test i Run Shows Completed in 10% with Read Errors ...

I Know my HDD is failing . I wanna Know how serious is the problem . If yesterday I accidentaly Didn't open these programs I would Not notice it because its working Fine .

PS ... Just as i was writing this the 1147 went up to 1176 ...

S3P3HR

Thank you for respond

I booted Seatools (both win & dos version ) and did a short test . same like other programs it ends in error . Long test will took a while and I cant do it right now . Will do as soon as possible ...

Tell Me ... Current Pending Sector Count & Offline Uncorrectable are now on 1220 raw value . I believe that they are sectors that gone bad . Does it mean that the Data on those sectors are lost or they are relocated ?

Current Stats :

Reallocated Sector Count : 605
Current Pending Sector Count : 1220
Offline Uncorrectable : 1220

S3P3HR

Ok Here is what I did :

I found another software , pretty good one , Hard Disk Sentinel . I Moved all data on the disk to another drive an ran Reinitialize disk surface scan . the Software description on scan :

" Overwrites the disk surface with special initialization pattern to restore the sectors to default (empty) status and reads back sector contents, to verify if they are accessible and consistent. Forces the analysis of any weak sectors and verifies any hidden problems and fixes them by reallocation of bad sectors (this is drive regeneration). "

It creates a disk surface map . on it I Had 3 Blocks out of 9999 With Read speed of 2 mb/s and that even was not a damaged block . just slow . and it was positioned after GB 700 .

After Running that test Now When I Run self tests they finish without error .
Now I Think to create partitions Out Of first 700 GB of my drive and continue using it ( With some Backup of course ) .

Current Value :

-Reallocated Sector Count : 605
-Reported Uncorrectable : 1508
-Current Pending Sector Count : 0
-offline Uncorrectable : 0

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Once you start getting bad sectors, it doesn't take long for others to go as well. Your best bet is to buy a new drive before you can't backup your data.

S3P3HR

I know having increasing numbers of bad sector Indicate hardware failure mostly surface or head damage . and should be replaced eventually but speaking in my case I believe my HDD was getting bad sectors because of faulty software error and/or virus effect . And I got reasons to believe that . My HDD was not even close to end of its life according to my HDD model datasheet .The Case had not been damaged or hit or even moved in recent days and every surface test I ran on the drive showed a very healthy disk surface and normal read write speed . So keep my experience in mind :

- Backup your data
- Delete any partition on the disk from diskmanager
- Download Hard Disk Sentinel
- Run reinitialize Disk Surface & Read,Write,Read tests

If surface Scans show a healthy Surface it may indicate of a bad data or virus causing bad sectors . Reinitialize Disk scan remove any data on the disk and writes zeroes on the disk . and it will reset the Current Pending Sector Count & Offline Uncorrectable values in S.M.A.R.T .

After those steps my HDD is Preforming Normally . No increasing number of bad sectors or errors . but the 1508 errors and 605 reallocated sectors are still in S.M.A.R.T's history . Just ignore them .

Hope It Helps .

WallyWest

Your hard drive is going to die on you. Once a bad sector develops, it doesn't take long for other bad sectors to appear. You hard drive appears to have used up all spare sectors. How long have you had this 1 TB HDD? Seagate drives have 3 years warranty. Computer shops usually provide only 1 year warranty. If the shop won't honor your warranty (either because warranty has already lapsed or they're just giving you a hard time) then I suggest you RMA it directly to Seagate.

Read on for some solutions to your Seagate problem:
http://www.techyv.com/questions/failed-format-selected-partition-error-code-0x80070057