How can I find out what is causing this problem

sef24

My computer has been running fine, though it never turns on the first try. It attempts, turns off, restarts, works. I switched out my new 910w psu and tried my old 750w. Did the same.

So I'm guessing it's the motherboard. What I'd like to know is if I could find out why it's doing it. As in it recorded the failure through windows. I don't get a blue screen, just no picture into a restart

jtledoux

Try removing and reattching your case's power and reset cords from the motherboards pins. If one of these gets loose it could cause the motherboard to get false reset commands. Also you dont get any beeps or lights flashing in your motherboard?

sef24

first reply: I have switched PSUs, it does the same for both, and now is doing the same since I have reattached my newer 910w again.

second reply: where exactly can I view that? :)
edit: just found it in the windows search hehe. ill check around that

msc

I believe that jtledoux is saying. To reattach the power and reset wirers from your case to M/B. nothing to do with your P/S.

jtledoux

Yes MSC that is what I was pointing out, I had the same problem on my ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard, and it turns out that solved the problem for me. Also when did you buy this board? There is a recall for the P8P67 For a faulty Cougar Point chip. If you qualify you may be able to get a free motherboard!

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/changeSandybridge_MB.aspx?slanguage=en-us

Im going off what your signature says btw. Not sure if this is correct for your issue.

sef24

Yes MSC that is what I was pointing out, I had the same problem on my ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard, and it turns out that solved the problem for me. Also when did you buy this board? There is a recall for the P8P67 For a faulty Cougar Point chip. If you qualify you may be able to get a free motherboard!

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/changeSandybridge_MB.aspx?slanguage=en-us

went ahead and tried that out, no luck.

I bought this motherboard during the first half of march from
http://www.centralcomputers.com/

The p8p67 boards were not on newegg yet, so yea I was wondering if I was sold one of the recalled boards. Thanks for the link, ill go ahead and see if I can get a replacement.

Also one question, if I was qualified for a replacement, would I need to send in my old one and be without the use of a computer for a few days till I get my new one?

Finals around, and just curious if I will need to use another computer

sef24

just went to the site, punched in my serial number, and it said it that this board is not affected by that issue

jtledoux

Well it was worth a try. Have you tried removing the overclock on your processor? (Also from your signature)

sef24

I currently just use EZ Mode which overclocks it when needed to 4326. I changed it to normal performance and it does the same.

Just seems like such a weird problem, the computer works just great, but it will never ever turn on the first time, its always the second. (sometimes it takes 3, but when it does it takes me to the failed overclock screen during boot up).

Sometimes, my screen gets a little bit wavy, can only recognize it when you put your face up to the screen and look at the desktop icon letters.

After about 2 minutes, it fixes itself

Im going to go ahead and send an email to asus and just go ahead and see that they say. Though im guessing its gonna be "its not our problem, its something else" hehe.

edit: also to note, when building these upgrades, I am unable to install all 4 sticks of my ram. computer wouldnt boot with all four, when I install 2 it works. Though I havent tried it since a month ago.

jtledoux

Asus actually does have a very good support team. But now that you say that is the outlet you are using to power your equipment properly grounded? Have you tried swiching your computer to another outlet? Its a longshot, but maybe...

sef24

Asus actually does have a very good support team. But now that you say that is the outlet you are using to power your equipment properly grounded? Have you tried swiching your computer to another outlet? Its a longshot, but maybe...

I have put it directly through the wall, through a surge protector, and a different outlet in the same room (same outlets as my previous gigabyte p55-ud6 motherboard)

cratecomps

Worth a try!

Try this. Go into the bios and go into miscellaneous settings and toggle the virtualisation and isochronous settings. Does not matter if you toggle them on or off, so long as you change them. If that doesnt work, try just restoring the bios to factory settings and see if that fixes it. Let us know if that works for you. :)

sef24

switched those settings, no changes
loaded defaults, no changes.

Shall I remove the battery to reset the bios?

sef24

After getting a quick reply from ASUS, I was told to go into AI settings and set the internal PLL overvoltage to off and it boots up just fine!

Havent messed with the > 4g of ram problem yet, but I should be able to fix that soon. Maybe the disabled overvoltage is the fix as well.

Also got my dual monitors to be able to work during crossfirex (using an hdmi cable for my main display and an analog for my other)

So im happy :)

sef24

I currently use EZ mode that is with the p8p67 motherboard and it overclocks to 4326, though I will be increasing it soon