how can i improve CPU performance w/o risk?

veilx

I have a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom on this Netbook, and its just not cutting it, overclocking sounds reasonable, but i don't want to risk it (i think i already voided the warranty by upgrading the RAM and taking out the Harddrive).

any ideas of what i should do?... i would overclock, but i have zero experience with it, the model is an Acer aspire one KAV10. originally - Win XP home w/ 1 GB RAM.

Upgraded to quad boot - Win7/ubuntu/XP pro/vista Ultm, and 2GB ram (i don't know what "ddr" thingy it is)

thank you for any help you may provide - veilx

Last edited:

zer0_c00l

i wouldnt try to overclock that. its just made for surfing the net plus bios are locked and heat is the big factor in notbooks/netbooks they just dont have good enough cooling. :rolleyes: try just getting rid of unwated processes and disk cleanup and a defrag. (thats about all you can do with it sorry

bomberboysk

Well, the problem is overclocking that would be software only, and would require you to do it every time you turn it on, plus you might get 2-300mhz out of it. The atom is slow enough that overclocking it wont help a whole lot..

The laptop would overheat and die, my dumbass friend dj did this and he was wondering why it would shut off randomly after, Yeah do not over clock it, it is probably 100 percent chance that you will ruin it, laptop's are not ment for that type of heat,

What exactaly are you doing, because I'm running from a 1.8 clocked computer with 1 gig of ram and it play's wow for me lol.

bomberboysk

The laptop would overheat and die, my dumbass friend dj did this and he was wondering why it would shut off randomly after, Yeah do not over clock it, it is probably 100 percent chance that you will ruin it, laptop's are not ment for that type of heat,

What exactaly are you doing, because I'm running from a 1.8 clocked computer with 1 gig of ram and it play's wow for me lol.
You do realize the atom is about 3/4 of the speed of a pentium 4 clock for clock? And about half the speed clock for clock of a core 2 based celeron.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an Atom in my netbook and its quite nippy considering its only 1.6Ghz.

What are you trying to do on that Netbook? Like mentioned they are designed for light tasks such as Internet and watching the odd movie,They can cope with some light gaming too,such as Age of empires 3...which i found out recently and it runs great!

But anything more demanding than that and its a no-no.

I ran windows 7 on mine,it was okay but i felt it was holding back performance and i was right after installing Xp on it.

It now flys!

lovely?

I have an Atom in my netbook and its quite nippy considering its only 1.6Ghz.

What are you trying to do on that Netbook? Like mentioned they are designed for light tasks such as Internet and watching the odd movie,They can cope with some light gaming too,such as Age of empires 3...which i found out recently and it runs great!

But anything more demanding than that and its a no-no.

I ran windows 7 on mine,it was okay but i felt it was holding back performance and i was right after installing Xp on it.

It now flys!

jesus aoe 3? i was such an addict to that game. played for hours on end, always as the ottomans :rolleyes: do people still play online? maybe ill install it on my PC again...

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
jesus aoe 3? i was such an addict to that game. played for hours on end, always as the ottomans :rolleyes: do people still play online? maybe ill install it on my PC again...

Yeah AOE3 :D...I was addicted to the first one that came out quite a long time ago,I never left the damn game alone so i just had to get AOE3

Ive not actaly tried the online yet,But i will do and will let you know. :)

veilx

okk, thanks guys, i guess im just gonna speed up the OS with the Processes.

and what i use my netbook for is usually photoshop and regular computing things (i connect the Netbook to a larger monitor, i hate computer gaming) - sometimes photoshop will get a lil werid when using the smudge tool, and a 512 MB ram with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (@ 2.10 GHz) does the photoshop alot better than my netbook. /:

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

You do realize the atom is about 3/4 of the speed of a Pentium 4 clock for clock? And about half the speed clock for clock of a core 2 based celeron.

This is one of the reasons I really don't like Netbooks. You are compromising processing power for a slightly smaller laptop computer that also has no DVD drive.