How can I keep a new computer cool in this shed?

This is in a maintenance shed in Florida. The old computer overheated. What are my options for keeping a new computer cool enough? I know nothing about cooling. I want to know everything.

There is no air conditioning in this shed and I don't want there to be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9senfi9od1tztco/IMG_20170310_130714254.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6khw0rz2tc8xuv7/IMG_20170310_130733317_HDR.jpg?dl=0

Also, what's the software I need to download on the new computer to change the settings of that Ubiquiti Access Point I have? I remember it was free.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A cooling pad won't help with as high as it gets inside a shed in florida with no air conditioning. You'll fry the new one as well. I thought we discussed this before? Humidity also will kill it. It would get well over 100 degrees in that shed, probably close to 120 or more correct?

Intel_man

VIP Member
This is in a maintenance shed in Florida. The old computer overheated. What are my options for keeping a new computer cool enough? I know nothing about cooling. I want to know everything.

There is no air conditioning in this shed and I don't want there to be.
Think of it in the sense that you've just finished playing sports... So now you're body is in a state where it's very hot. How do you cool off? Do you drink hot coffee to cool off or do you drink iced water?

Because right now, what you're describing is "I want to cool off by drinking hot coffee".

There's no black magic to make your computer run cooler than ambient temperature that is remotely economical.

A cooling pad won't help with as high as it gets inside a shed in florida with no air conditioning. You'll fry the new one as well. I thought we discussed this before? Humidity also will kill it. It would get well over 100 degrees in that shed, probably close to 120 or more correct?

Okay. I guess I don't need a computer there permanently. Do you remember the name of the software for the Ubiquiti Access Point so I can change the name of the Internet wifi?

Intel_man

VIP Member
CPU operating temps are directly related to ambient temperatures.

Temperatures in a non ventilated area (shack) in Florida where temps in the summer time exceed 40 degrees Celsius during the day can easily see localized temps greater than 40 degrees inside. You don't want ambient temperatures that high.

He wants to cool his computer without dealing with the high ambient temperature/humidity. That's where the problem is. If he wanted a permanent solution in that shack, cool air needs to be distributed in the shack.

The analogy works. You're just trying to think way too much out of it. Body temperature =/= CPU temperature in that analogy.

Deadpool

CPU operating temps are directly related to ambient temperatures.

Temperatures in a non ventilated area (shack) in Florida where temps in the summer time exceed 40 degrees Celsius during the day can easily see localized temps greater than 40 degrees inside. You don't want ambient temperatures that high.

He wants to cool his computer without dealing with the high ambient temperature/humidity. That's where the problem is. If he wanted a permanent solution in that shack, cool air needs to be distributed in the shack.

The analogy works. You're just trying to think way too much out of it. Body temperature =/= CPU temperature in that analogy.

The reason I think it doesn´t work, is because room temps are lower than the computer temps, whereas the coffee´s is much higher than the body´s temperature. No matter how high the temperature is, if it is lower than the temperature of the thing you are trying to cool, it´s going to cool it.

Say the shack´s temps are 45C, and the computer is 60C, the computer is gonna get cooler if you change air periodically, not much, but it´s definitely not going to get hotter. Now if the body is at 40C and the coffe is at 80C, the you are gonna get hotter.

I understand that a cooling pad is not gonna make it run at 20C, but it´s gonna help. If he doesn´t want to put an air conditioner or anything similar, the pad is his best and only choice.

mistersprinkles

The reason I think it doesn´t work, is because room temps are lower than the computer temps, whereas the coffee´s is much higher than the body´s temperature. No matter how high the temperature is, if it is lower than the temperature of the thing you are trying to cool, it´s going to cool it.

Say the shack´s temps are 45C, and the computer is 60C, the computer is gonna get cooler if you change air periodically, not much, but it´s definitely not going to get hotter. Now if the body is at 40C and the coffe is at 80C, the you are gonna get hotter.

I understand that a cooling pad is not gonna make it run at 20C, but it´s gonna help. If he doesn´t want to put an air conditioner or anything similar, the pad is his best and only choice.

Have you ever been in a shed in florida? You could cook a steak on a table in there. What you are suggesting is equivalent to drinking a glass of ice water while you burn to death in hot lava. It's lava. Lava bro. Lava.

It's probably 50 degrees to 60 degrees celsius in there on a sunny humid day. Also extremely humid in there. So if the humidity doesnt kill it, running at TJmax constantly will eventually kill it.

A/C is the only solution.

Laquer Head

Simple solution - laptops are portable, bring with you to the shed when you need to. Don't leave the laptop or any computer in an un-vented, un air-conditioned shed, in a tropical climate.

mistersprinkles

make-it-rain-guys.gif

Deadpool

Have you ever been in a shed in florida? You could cook a steak on a table in there. What you are suggesting is equivalent to drinking a glass of ice water while you burn to death in hot lava. It's lava. Lava bro. Lava.

Lava for you. For the 80°C CPU is not. Dude if it was actually 60°C in there this kid would have hyperthermia after 10 minutes, and would die faster than the computer...