How can i network 2 computers together?

raoul_1101

I'm looking to network two computers together directly, and i have a two major questions how:

Should i ues a usb cable between them, or will a serial or parallel cord work?

and...

How do I (through windows) set up the network?

Trizoy

VIP Member
To directly connect them you can use a cross over cable (Same as ethernet, just wired little different). And Set both Ip addrsses manually.

OR plug them into a router, and share a folder. Then brose to them by name \\yourcomputername or ip \\192.168.2.1

Good luck

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Vista and XP? They made an special type of data transfer USB cable for Vista to XP... Otherwise, crosscover cable best choice.

happynoj

I have been trying to do this. I am trying to link a PC with XP Professional to another PC with Vista Premium.

Both PCs only have one Ethernet port, and I have a crossover cable to link them together. I am not sure exactly how to make them work together.

Can someone walk me through the steps required to make this work? I do not want to be able to connect to the internet, the network will just be for file transfer and multiplayer gaming.

Cheers

Geoff

VIP Member
It's been a while since i've done it, but I hope this is the correct way.

Once you get both computers connected via the crossover cable, it will probably say "limited or no connectivity", correct?

Since you dont have a DHCP server, you need to manually assign the IP's and gateway for each PC. So click on "Network Connections" on the XP machine, right click on the active NIC, click properties, then click on TCP/IP, and click properties again. Then you need to manually assign an IP. It doesnt really matter, so lets make PC1 (XP), have an IP of 192.168.1.100, default subnet.

Then on PC2 (Vista), do the same thing (although it's tricker to get to the network connections page), and click on TCP/IP properties again, then change the IP to 192.168.1.101, defualt subnet, and for the gateway enter 192.168.1.100. If you want to share internet, or just to make sure it works, use 192.168.1.100 as the #1 DNS server as well.

Hope that works.

Yes you should try to connect the two PC's using the ethernet cable. I don't think the PC's can be connected using the USB cables. Please reply how you connected the PC's as it will increase my knowledge also.

adarsh

hi [-OMEGA-], i just tried out the configuration, but that resulted in my laptop failing to browse the internet. my IM was still working though. any idea of whts wrong?
btw, my laptop runs on vista home premium and my desktop is xp pro.

thnx

Geoff

VIP Member
hi [-OMEGA-], i just tried out the configuration, but that resulted in my laptop failing to browse the internet. my IM was still working though. any idea of whts wrong?
btw, my laptop runs on vista home premium and my desktop is xp pro.

thnx
That configuration shouldnt allow you to get on the internet, as you dont have the proper DNS servers configured on the second PC. I wrote those so he would be able to connect and transfer files.

If you want to get the internet to work, then you need to share your current connection, and set the DNS server on the second PC to the one which has the internet connection.

raoul_1101

Ok, I'm now troubleshooting the connection.

PC #1:
Vista
TCP/IPv4 Settings:
Use IP address: (192.168.1.101)
Use Default Subnet Mask: (255.255.255.0)
Gateway: (192.168.1.100)
No DNS server

PC #2:
XP
TCP/IP Settings:
Use IP address: (192.168.1.100)
Use Default Subnet Mask: (255.255.255.0)
Default Gateway: (___.___.___.___)
No DNS server

I can get PC #1 and PC #2 to successfully ping to 192.168.1.100, but neither can ping to 192.168.1.101. I am using an Ethernet Crossover cable. What could be my problem?