WIndows 10 How can I prevent my PC from waking up from sleep mode on its own?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I've noticed lately that my PC sometimes wakes up from sleep mode at night, or other times I'll just come home and it's already awake. I did a quick search and found that I can run the powercfg -lastwake command to see more information, so this is what I came up with:

C:\Program Files\Cmder
λ powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Wake Timer
Owner: [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker)
Owner Supplied Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\HP\HP Print Scan Doctor\Printer Health Monitor' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

But now I'm stumped, because I don't know what to do from here. I guess it's some kind of printer thing happening, but as far as I can tell, I don't have any printer software running (and the printer is off). Anyone know what I can do from here?

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your start up tab in task manager and disable the garbage HP software, problem solved. If its not there, its probably a service that is starting.

JohnJSal

Check your start up tab in task manager and disable the garbage HP software, problem solved. If its not there, its probably a service that is starting.

This is all that it shows. I'm not sure what that second one is. Can it be disabled?

Attachments

• startup.png
    startup.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 4

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a creative labs sound card or software installed?

However, the HP printer health monitor is actually a service that is running.

1. In the search bar type services.msc and press Enter
2. Scroll Down and Locate HP Health Check Service and right click and select Properties
3. Click Stop button and Select Disabled from the Startup type drop down.
4. Click Ok and close services.

Then go to the task scheduler

Type task scheduler in the search bar.

• Go to (on the left box) Task Scheduler Library > HP > HP Print Scan Doctor/health monitor
  • On the right, under Actions > Selected Item, click Properties
  • Go to the Conditions tab
  • Under Power, uncheck Wake the computer to run this task

You can try just doing the task scheduler first to see if that takes care of it first before disabling the service.

JohnJSal

Do you have a creative labs sound card or software installed?
Yes, is that what that second item is?

However, the HP printer health monitor is actually a service that is running.

1. In the search bar type services.msc and press Enter
2. Scroll Down and Locate HP Health Check Service and right click and select Properties
3. Click Stop button and Select Disabled from the Startup type drop down.
4. Click Ok and close services.

Then go to the task scheduler

Type task scheduler in the search bar.

• Go to (on the left box) Task Scheduler Library > HP > HP Print Scan Doctor/health monitor
  • On the right, under Actions > Selected Item, click Properties
  • Go to the Conditions tab
  • Under Power, uncheck Wake the computer to run this task

You can try just doing the task scheduler first to see if that takes care of it first before disabling the service.
Thank you! For now I just unchecked the "Wake the computer" setting. Hopefully that will fix it!