How can I run both Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows (Vista)?

EGS

banned
Hi.

My current computer is Windows Vista 32-bit operating system. My processor can support 64-bit technology...and I have always been wanting to use Linux (in particular Ubuntu).

I have Ubuntu 64-bit operating system at my finger-tips.
How can I run both of them at the same time?

Is there any way I can make Ubuntu the "master" operating system and Windows Vista in the background? I don't have the Windows Vista CD (stupid HP didn't provide me with that with purchase of computer).

All help appreciated.
Thanks. :D

patrickv

edit :
Or install ubuntu first (as master)on your Main hard drive and install vista (in VM if you have enough Ram for it) you cannot run both OS at the same time like you're thinking

tobywuk

if you want to be able to use them both at the same time on one computer then you will need to install one of the operating systems. once you are in one of these OS's you need to install a virtual machine which acts as a nother computer running inside another. you then install your desired operating system inside this VM

tlarkin

VIP Member
ubuntu has gparted live in the installer so you can run that and resize your partition to install it after loading windows. Do not try to install vista after you load Linux it will cause issues. the Linux installer will also configure your grub menu as well.

EGS

banned
ubuntu has gparted live in the installer so you can run that and resize your partition to install it after loading windows. Do not try to install vista after you load Linux it will cause issues. the Linux installer will also configure your grub menu as well.
Explain further on this please.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Explain further on this please.

When you install ubuntu it asks if you want to set up the partition schema for your system. You can click on custom and it should show that vista is installed on NTFS already on your system. Resize it to whatever size you want and what ever file system you want (probably ext3) and then proceed to install Linux on your system. It will also detect that you have another OS installed and automatically configure GRUB which is a boot loader. So once its completed you will boot your system up and get a menu every time to choose between Linux or Windows.

red onion

There is this option wibii-installer.org/ This will allow you to point and click an installation of Ubuntu from inside Windows, just like any other software. It is in beta, and I have not tried it, but it looks very interesting.

EGS

banned
There is this option wibii-installer.org/ This will allow you to point and click an installation of Ubuntu from inside Windows, just like any other software. It is in beta, and I have not tried it, but it looks very interesting.
Holy crap, that looks awesome.
I'm glad I was looking at some of my old threads...this is going to be really helpful for my new build! :D

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hmm Wubi seems interesting I wish there was more documentation on it. Their site sucks for any documentation.

Another way would be to run virtual machines to try it out first if you wanted, then you can just wipe the VM when you are done or want to actually install it on your PC.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need a total of three partitions.

One for Vista. I'd recommend at least 30GB
One for Ubuntu. I'd set aside at least 15 gigs (probably more than you need, but you never know)
One for your Linux Swap partition, which is usually double the size of the RAM you've installed. So, if you have 2 gigs of RAM, create a 4 gig Swap partition.

Install Vista first. Then run the Ubuntu installation and create your Linux partitions. The GRUB bootloader will create an entry for vista, so when you restart your machine, you'll have the ability to choose either Ubuntu or Vista. If you install Vista after Ubuntu, Vista will wipe the GRUB bootloader.

EGS

banned
How does this work? In the screenshots it makes Ubuntu look like Vista...like a Vista program...like look at the icons. >_< Is this just an application that's like Ubuntu or something?

Deltaforce

Dual-boot

I'd recommend you to run a dual boot between theese two OS's.
Just open up a new partition and boot from the CD/DVD, then just pick the right drive and there you go.
Former i ran this setup with Ubuntu and Vista, but i couldn't instal the wifi-card drivers so I used vista for internett-usage and ubuntu for everything else...:p

tlarkin

VIP Member
I'd say run a virtual machine first, try it out and see if you like it. Then do the dual boot thing.