how can i share my files then?

alexandergre

i did it to share my files. (between 2 computer win xp sp2)
computer number one
network_home_ipserver1.jpg

computer number two
network_home_ipmuz.jpg

how can i share files then?
im beginner. last night i was awake till 5am and i was searching on google. nothing!!!!!
please help

Jet

VIP Member
Right-click on a file or folder (or printer, for that matter), and click "Sharing and Security", then select the box that says "Share this folder on the network" and type in a name that you want it to be represented by when you open the folder on another computer.

kof2000

you dont need static ips to share files. just create a WORKGROUP on both computer with the same group name.

LTSPLAY

i did it to share my files. (between 2 computer win xp sp2)
computer number one
network_home_ipserver1.jpg

computer number two
network_home_ipmuz.jpg

how can i share files then?
im beginner. last night i was awake till 5am and i was searching on google. nothing!!!!!
please help

are the 2 computers linked via a crossover cable??? you dont have any routers in there somewhere do you????

looking at what you have there, each computer needs its own default gateway, being you only have 2 computers the gateway should be the same as the ip address for the computers its on...... (each computers acts as its own gateway)

then as long you are both on the same workgroup and the folder permissions are correct it should all be fine.

hope that helps

alexandergre

Right-click on a file or folder (or printer, for that matter), and click "Sharing and Security", then select the box that says "Share this folder on the network" and type in a name that you want it to be represented by when you open the folder on another computer.

ok i did it, with a folder in computer number 1, but i cant see files from the computer number 2.
where i have to go to see the files`? in shared documents? if yes, then i cant see the files.

attention please: coputer number one has xp italian and number two is xp english.

Jet

VIP Member
ok i did it, with a folder in computer number 1, but i cant see files from the computer number 2.
where i have to go to see the files`? in shared documents? if yes, then i cant see the files.

attention please: coputer number one has xp italian and number two is xp english.

To find the files, you'll have to go to: My Network Places>View Workgroup Computers>Select computer>Look for folder you shared.

alexandergre

oh god, thank you, it works. im f**** happy. u know!! 1st time made network. lol :p
3 questions:

1-i have shared my drive c: (windows xp) with computer n2 and i wanted to see if computer n2 can access the programs of computer n1(if games and program work), but it doesnt work.
is there anyway that i can make one of my partitions shared and whatever i install in computer n1 can be also used with computer n2?(our school is like that, there is a server. the teacher installs adobe photoshop elements and then all the computer in school with different user account can access adobe elements).
thanks you.

2-is there any way to connect two laptops together via wireless or bluetooth without using any cable and extra hardware(router, ...)?

3-can i have two LAN connections? i need one to connect computer n1 to n2 and i need the second LAN to connect computer n1 to internet?
when i want to connect to internet i have to use LAN,(its a crossover cable from my computer to wall, i dont have to install any program, i just have to inster some number in Protocol internet )

Last edited:

computerhakk

VIP Member
1. Not totally sure. Ive never done it over a router to use someone else's program as your own.

2. No. You will need extra hardware; specifically a wireless router and if you don't already have them, wireless (wifi) cards.

3. No, you are thinking too much. You only need one. If they are all set properly and on the same workgroup, it can access the other computer also and get online at the same time.