How can I transfer files between laptop and desktop computer?

Michaell

I have purchased Dell Inspiron laptop yesterday. They have given a HDMI cable with that. What is the best way to share the files to connect the laptop with my old desktop computer? can I use that cable to transfer files?

SslagleZ28

I have purchased Dell Inspiron laptop yesterday. They have given a HDMI cable with that. What is the best way to share the files to connect the laptop with my old desktop computer? can I use that cable to transfer files?

HDMI is audio/video cable. The best way is probably to with set up a network between the to, but the easiest would be to get a flash drive.

Ankur

I think a USB to USB cable is good enough, but for some reasons I think an external HDD would do it better.

Ryan_Fpv

Depends if it's a one-off transfer of files (eg. moving files to your new laptop), or if it is going to be a constant transfer of files between the laptop and the PC.
If it's a small one off file transfer (eg. a few photos, songs, etc), I'd go a flash drive if you have it (can pick them up for pretty cheap if you don't), or go old-school and burn a DVD.
If it's a larger set of files, (eg. all your videos/games/programs) that would require too many DVDs/flash drives, a external harddrive if you have one would be easiest. If you don't have an external hard drive then either make several trips with the flash drive or use a network.

If you want to constantly share between the two computers, then you'll need to set up a network.

WhiteTree

If you just need to move some files (up to several Gigabytes), then get a flash drive.

If you want to move a large amount of files (to backup all or nearly all of your hard drive), get an external hard drive.

[edit] Ryan's post has a lot of good information.

(Any modern flash drive can hold more than a few photos or songs unless by a few you mean a few thousand. A 4 or an 8 Gigabyte flash drive will hold quite a lot of files. :) )

Last edited:

Dystopia

How big are the files? There are several ways to do this.

USB Drive: If you only have a couple gigabytes of files to move, 16GB USB Flash Drives only cost $20-30, if you catch them on sale. PNY, Kingston, and Corsiar come to mind for brands.

USB Cable: If you have a lot of files to move, USB cables will work.

Ethernet cable: The best way to move a bunch of files without wifi. Simply drag on drop all your files into the Shared Files folder. A more technical, but easier and faster approach is to set the folders containing your files to a shared folder.

WiFi: This is the cheapest way, if you can, since you don't need to buy a cable or a flash drive. Also no wires. Simply create a network group and make sure both computers are set to the same group. Set the folders you want to share to be shared, and your all set.

salvage-this

If you have another sata cable you can hook up the laptop drive that way. then you can just transfer the files like any other drive.