How can I wipe my hard drive?

PC eye

banned
PC eye is actually the only guy who seems that he doesn't know what he's doing actually. If he can't even delete a partition with an XP disk he isn't much of a tech. Be better off selling furniture.

When Vista was dual booted here and created a folder called "boot" with a subfolder named "en-US" neither XP or a live Linux distro could remove it! The SP1 recovery disk at the time wasn't able to gain access due to the two updated versions of XP being on the drive. That's a common problem seen with permissions and a few other things when trying to access a newer release with newer security features added.

Once you have a good burn of GParted and get up to the gui there the process is simply highlighting the partition shown and clicking on the delete button on the explorer bar followed by the apply button. You will then be prompted to confirm it's deletion. When this is finished click on the red button at the lower left hand side and choose the "reject disk & reboot" option. Once you have removed the disk you simply click on the ok to see the system restart or simply shut it down from there with the power button.

Angel.of.Death

Your way doesn't even really work, and I'll tell you why. You should create an NTFS partition for security reasons, amongst others, and FDISK can't do that. So he's back to the same old problem.

Hold! There is another solution that should CLOSE THIS THREAD!
Use Partition Magic Bootable. You can use it with DOS and do EVERYTHING. I challenge you, prove me wrong.

Angel.of.Death

HOLD! N00bs!

1.) Make a boot floppy
2.) Use FDISK to delete partition
3. )Format Partition
4. ) Boot XP AND LET HER RIPP!

PC eye is the only guys who seems to know how to do it. This is the simplest, fail-safe method.

When you boot up the XP cd, you can Easily convert the freshly formatted drive into NTFS...

StrangleHold

Staff member
When Vista was dual booted here and created a folder called "boot" with a subfolder named "en-US" neither XP or a live Linux distro could remove it! The SP1 recovery disk at the time wasn't able to gain access due to the two updated versions of XP being on the drive. That's a common problem seen with permissions and a few other things when trying to access a newer release with newer security features added.

Where do you get your windows CDs- Big Lots

I just did the same thing you did 2 days ago with a 1999 windows 2000 cd!

PC eye

banned
Where do you get your windows CDs- Big Lots

I just did the same thing you did 2 days ago with a 1999 windows 2000 cd!

Well let's see you try and upgrade an XP installation with a 2000 installation disk. Gee why can't you do that? Do you get a "newer version" error? You don't worry too much since that disk went along with the eMachines piece of junk there after using something else to clean the two pirated copy of both Home and Pro editions off. The owner was glad to see a working machine there.

SirKenin

banned
Any sane human being that knew what they were doing would just delete the partition with the newer version of Windows and then install the alternative version. How hard can it possibly be?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well let's see you try and upgrade an XP installation with a 2000 installation disk. Gee why can't you do that? Do you get a "newer version" error? You don't worry too much since that disk went along with the eMachines piece of junk there after using something else to clean the two pirated copy of both Home and Pro editions off. The owner was glad to see a working machine there.

No No No, nobodys talking upgrade, (you) said you cant delete a XP sp2 partition with a older verision xp cd, I dont think you know the difference between a recovery-upgrade and full CD

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Any sane human being that knew what they were doing would just delete the partition with the newer version of Windows and then install the alternative version. How hard can it possibly be?

Exactly, You can use a boot disk, 2000, XP, XP sp1, SP sp2, Full, Upgrade it doesnt matter, delete the partition then put anything you want on it!

SirKenin

banned
Haha that's funny becuase he probably knows more than 90% of the people including you.

Actually he knows only what he can cut and paste from Google. As seen in this thread, and many others, when he has to rely on his own brain he fails miserably. Be careful how you interpret his posts, lest you also fall into the trap.

PC eye

banned
Actually he knows only what he can cut and paste from Google. As seen in this thread, and many others, when he has to rely on his own brain he fails miserably. Be careful how you interpret his posts, lest you also fall into the trap.

Considering you haven't been around this for very long you have no room to criticise anyone.

Angel.of.Death

Well, he does happen to have some 3000 posts more than you... But it was wrong of Pc Eye to copy and paste. No wonder it didnt make much sense...

SirKenin

banned
Well, he does happen to have some 3000 posts more than you... But it was wrong of Pc Eye to copy and paste. No wonder it didnt make much sense...

The number of posts is not an indicator of one's intelligence. However, think of it this way if you like. Look at the posts per day figure, not the total number. If you look at that figure, mine is substantially higher than his. Look how long he has been here and the total accumulated, then look at the same for me. Big difference. Now, if the greater number of those posts are nothing but off topic jibberish, how are they to be considered a positive contribution to the forum? You know what they say. Quality over quantity.

Not that it matters, I'm just saying as you seem to be on this bender that post counts matter.

Anyways, that is all I prefer to say on this topic.

tlarkin

VIP Member
lol this thread is out of control

First off

Win XP CD can delete any partition, and I have personally used it to delete reiser partitions from linux boxes, it just says its an unsupported or unrecognized however the xp partition software when booting off the cd can do this no problem. You can still delete it and create a new partition.

You don't need to download some third party application, but you can use something like partition magic or whatever if you choose to

An upgrade Disc and a Full version disc have absolutly no difference in them, with the one exception that the upgrade requires you put in an older version of windows to verify that you have an older version to upgrade from. That is it.

Also, doing a repair install of windows xp reinstalled the vide sub system of the OS, thus it should fix any kind of video issue. I am willing to be the OS corruption was deeper than just something related to the video, which is why an overlay of the OS did nothing to really fix it. The problem sounds like they were trying to overlay a newer version of the OS (like SP 2) with an original OS disc, which could be part of the problem to begin with.

At this point I suggest back up, wipe the drive, start from scatch

tlarkin

VIP Member
LoL that seems to be the solution to EVERY thread in the HDD subcategory.

Think of it as patching pot holes in a road system. You can lay down tar and patch them up, smooth it out so it is level, but eventually it will need new pavement all together.

You can only patch up a system so much, which is why back ups are a must. If you want to be real effecient Just keep your OS/apps on one partitoin/drive and then take a snap shot of it, every time it messes up just reimage from the snap shot, it only takes a few minutes to reimage a system.