How can this pc's specs not meet win11 requirements??

mikehende

Hey guys, my win10 Dell Inspiron desktop's specs are Intel i5, 16gb ram 64bit

I ran the App from Microsoft to check for compatibility to install win11 but please see attached screenshot of the error message, what gives please?

Attachments

• win11.png
    win11.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 4

mikehende

I called up Microsoft, all they asked for was the processor's "generation" and said it requires Generation 8th or above and mine is 4th Gen, question answered, thx.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Supposedly you can't do an upgrade to 11 with an incompatible cpu but can do a clean install of windows 11. As far as the TPM requirement goes, I'm not sure. I think its possible though to still do a clean install without the tpm requirement.

mikehende

Thanks, I could try getting a product key for cheap and trying on a test pc but I am guessing the OS will not install once it recognizes my processor?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
An existing windows 10 key will activate windows 11 just like a windows 7 and 8 key will activate a windows 10 install.

Last edited:

mikehende

So we are trying Win11 on my son's newer pc but he says it's slower than win 10 therefore we may revert back to win10. I told him to give it a couple days but even during installation I could tell it took longer than a normal win10 install will take. Anyone tried win11 with different results please?

Intel_man

VIP Member
Supposedly you can't do an upgrade to 11 with an incompatible cpu but can do a clean install of windows 11. As far as the TPM requirement goes, I'm not sure. I think its possible though to still do a clean install without the tpm requirement.
I believe there was an article that said they installed Windows 11 with a Pentium 4. I'm pretty sure TPM requirement can be bypassed right now.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I believe there was an article that said they installed Windows 11 with a Pentium 4. I'm pretty sure TPM requirement can be bypassed right now.
Yep, I just saw that article this morning which I find quite funny that it allowed to be installed on that cpu.

mikehende

Actually guys, the next day my son said win 11 works now even faster than win 10! I tried it myself and yes its very fast.

Also MS tech had tried "upgrading" from win10 but it did not work so I created a boot USB and installed from scratch. When asked if we could try installing keeping files he said this has a 40-60% failure rate so I did a custom install.