How do i be sure my laptop webcam will work in a webex meeting, or zoom meeting?

eem2am

Hi,
Do you know this?
I recently went into a zoom call....as i waited for the call to begin, my laptop camera was working, (it showed my face in video) then as soon as the host contacted me, my laptop cam stopped working. How do i be sure this doesnt happen again?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you turn the camera on manually or did the zoom program turn it on? If you did it manually then the meeting most likely needs to open it not you. I've never done zoom so not sure.

tremmor

had a similar problem with zoom using cell phone for conference call.
I could see them and hear them but they could not see me. I scrolled down
to the bottom of screen and seen an option to turn camera on manually.

eem2am

I get the following message when i try and open my camera. Also, i cannot see the webcam in the device manager.
I have definetely used the camera on this laptop before.
Do you know how i can get the webcam back?

Attachments

• Webcam message.jpg
    Webcam message.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 6

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a webcam switch to turn it off and on? Also check the bios to see if there is a setting to enable it. But if it was working at one point and then nothing, it may have died or possibly a loose cable. Your webcam should be listed under an entry called imaging devices in device manager. Also check windows 10 camera settings to make sure its turned on.

eem2am

Hi,
Ive since heard that this was a windows 10 problem, and that recent windows 10 updates have solved this. Can anyone confirm this?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I know there was a printing issue with windows 10 but haven't heard anything about a webcam issue.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There were a lot of zoom issues when the pandemic hit and everyone had to do school learning from home, businesses as well Probably because they weren't big enough to handle everyone.

Last edited:

eem2am

BTW, just did this to my USB stick...

...i hope it works.
I am loathe to load more antivirus software as i already have norton...and antivirus softwares fight each other.

Also, is another good way to clean virus's off a USB stick to put the files on a laptop...then "format" the USB stick, then put your files back onto it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Also, is another good way to clean virus's off a USB stick to put the files on a laptop...then "format" the USB stick, then put your files back onto it?
What good is that gonna do if there are files on that usb that is bad?