how do I change my dvd region code

sonofleemarvin

I keep trying to download dvd playing software onto my computer, but it wont play dvds and pops up saying that my computer dvd region code is set to the wrong code, then when i try to change it I cant.

any ideas anyone?

PC eye

banned
The problem there may likely be the program's own regoin namely the region it was meant to be used in. For marketing in different locations drives will often be from one production line or another mainly for wholesale distribution and media standards. If the drive if for the US and Canada the program is likely intended for use elsewhere and not for either. This is mostly a software problem where the program has limits over one that would see a more universal format.

PC eye

banned
The only information found pertaining to drives themselves was the abstract seen here.

Abstract

A digital versatile disc (DVD) drive has a first memory for storing a region code and a source code, and a second memory for [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]storing [COLOR=blue! important]data[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] temporarily. The method for changing the region code of the digital versatile disc drive comprises storing the source code in the second memory, and changing the region code in the first memory according to the source code stored in the second memory. The method and apparatus is capable of changing the region code of the digital versatile disc drive. http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6788632.html

That would be likened to flashing the bios eprom chip on a board there since the firmware is already set for the predetermined region. One thing to try would be a free player like Superdvd that's not tied down to any one region by code. These owuld be older more basic players in that regard.

Have you tried various freeware sites? You may be getting shareware trial versions and not totally free players seeing a lock to one region. The AVS dvd player is free at http://www.avsmedia.com/DVDPlayer/index.aspx

StrangleHold

Staff member
I keep trying to download dvd playing software onto my computer, but it wont play dvds and pops up saying that my computer dvd region code is set to the wrong code, then when i try to change it I cant.

any ideas anyone?
How did you try to change it, right click on the drive in my computer- click properties- click hardware- pick the drive, click properties- click the DVD region. You only have so many times you can pick a region.

sonofleemarvin

(I dont know a whole lot about computers)....I was thinking that the problem lay with my actual dvd drive? I sent it to be mended a few months back and I've found it has been stuck in region 1 ever since, then when I upload software with which I can play dvds, it says the dvd is not compatible with my dvd player region code.

any one know how to change my computer dvd drive'sregion setting?

PC eye

banned
The third freeware seen at the link above DVD Genie 4.10 will automatically adjust that by software rather then fuss with settings in the Control Panel or right clicking as such on a drive's item found in the device manage ro bring up the properties. You will see that option right under the one for setting the default media player.

Which versions of Windows are you running there XP or Vista? There are differences in settings seen when right clicking on the drive's icon to get into the properties in order to make any changes there. The freeware there seems like the easier method if it works out for you there. The Mark Salloway recommendations are usually reliable.

WhiteFireDragon

if you cant find any other solution, what you could do is use the software "dvd shrink" to play dvds. i use it to burn regular DVDs down to the standard 4.7GB blank dvds that you buy. i think you can even shrink it down to fit on a regular CD! anyways, the program lets you choose regions when you burn it or take off any other restrictions. i ususally take out all the other languages and extra stuff on the dvd with the program also.

sonofleemarvin

so, I downloaded the dvd genie thing, but whenever I download and run powerdvd and then try and run a dvdusing these two programs, it doesnt work and comes up as a system error?!

any reason why this would happen?

PC eye

banned
Personally living in the U.S. I haven't run into this at all here. The likely tool to see things work out for you there is something like the Genie 4.10 program that will act as a work around for the region you are in there. The rest is in the software itself.

A full retail version of a player sometimes will see the option during installation for selecting the region you live in. The other option would be to continue looking for one of the freeware players that goes right around any region limitations. They're not as nice as a player like PowerDVD while they would still run dvds without hassles.

Kesava

i hope im not banned for this :) but for a few years ive been watching dvds of all different regions and never realised. cos i use VLC player and that doesnt check the region. all this time and i never knew.

sorry if im breaking the rules by mentioning that.

but i dont understand regions. why does it matter?

BluePlum

banned
Regions Were made Made to stop copy rite. But they made australia and barlie. THe place were u get any DVD for 1$ b4 it comes out in the cinimas and then you can watch them in aus :D. And you can easily reset the region of your DVD player with a code. Punch buttons and stuff i no someone whos done it. Probly find a code in google just need to no the model of your DVD player

PC eye

banned
i hope im not banned for this :) but for a few years ive been watching dvds of all different regions and never realised. cos i use VLC player and that doesnt check the region. all this time and i never knew.

sorry if im breaking the rules by mentioning that.

but i dont understand regions. why does it matter?

I don't think that will happen. In fact VLC is being used here for Vista since nothing but sound is heard in WMP 11. I dumped WMP 11 off of XP but still haven't got rid of htat in Vista yet. The free VLC player's home page is found at http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

PC eye

banned
The question now would be which version of Windows is being run there since that wasn't mentioned earlier. The link there is primarily for Vista not XP.