How do i change my router

jackie

Right now i am using a netgear cable home networking gateway cg3100d-2bpaus. I am about to purchase an desktop with 802.11ac wifi connection so i am thinking of upgrade my router so i can use the maximum speed of it, however i have no idea how to change router. do i just need to unplug all the wires and put them into the right ports to the new one?
oh and if the router i am using is capable with 802.11ac id be happy but i cant find any spec about it

beers

Staff member
Do you use any voice features with your service?

Otherwise you'd need a modem and a router since your current unit is an all-in-one combination device.

i am thinking of upgrade my router so i can use the maximum speed of it
What does this mean? Where does your current setup fall short?

jackie

Right now I have a thing which I don't know if it's a modem or router, it's working fine but I am afraid it can't give the 802.11 ac that my new desktop would have, and I would like to have the maximum speed
The thing I have right now gives me WiFi with password and name printed on it

beers

Staff member
Right now I have a thing which I don't know if it's a modem or router
It's both ;)
I am afraid it can't give the 802.11 ac that my new desktop would have, and I would like to have the maximum speed
What do you do with your connection that is 'slow'? 'Maximum speed' doesn't mean anything if your internet package isn't faster and you aren't locally sharing files over wifi.

jackie

Won't I be able to download much faster if I have a good router that matches my desktop? And I read people say sometimes if the ghz is different I won't be able to connect?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If your download speed is only 40 mbps then you won't benefit from AC technology. Now if you'll be transferring files on the network with another device that is AC compatible then you would benefit from it.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If your download speed is only 40 mbps then you won't benefit from AC technology. Now if you'll be transferring files on the network with another device that is AC compatible then you would benefit from it.
But you can't actually get 54Mbps from a G router. You're going to get somewhere between 15-20. I think that netgear supports N, but even then you're probably looking at around 50-60mbit (granted fast enough if they're getting 40mbit internet)

beers

Staff member
It looked like the current gateway only supports the ISM (2.4 GHz) band, if you have a lot of wireless neighbors or other 2.4 GHz appliances (like an analog baby monitor) then you'd see a lot more consistent behavior out of the 5 GHz radio on 802.11ac.

If you're currently getting around 40 mbit on wifi then you won't notice much of a difference for Internet downloads, however.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You're going to get somewhere between 15-20

Thats not right. I was using the wrt54g router for the longest time and would get above 40. Its been awhile since using one, I've got a few in storage I could test and let you know.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Shouldn't. With iperf I barely get 20 on g networks. Were you sitting in a faraday cage right on top of it? :p