How do I connect laptops for a LAN party?

I am going to host a LAN party soon. I want to know how to connect the laptops via wireless cards and via Ethernet. So how do I link the comps together with the built in wireless card and how do I hook the comps up via the Ethernet? I want to know how to do both methods.

Deepblue

get a router and connect the wired computer and connect the wireless computers and your done.

not much to explain on this issue its simple.

Let me try again.

1. How do I network the computers together via the wireless cards?

2. How do I network the computers together via the Ethernet ports?

Viking

what are you going to have in the way of chips and drinks ?:p

Are you going to be playing internet games or Local Games running on a pc ?

Both. Some times we will play games locally P2P and at other times I just want to share my Internet connection so we can all play online. So I need to know how to network them together locally and I need to know if we can just plug each laptop into a router and play independently online. I have a 10 Mbps cable Internet connection.

Last edited:

Viking

do you have a router
how many ports does it have?
how many ppl there will be wireless ?
will the router support the wired connections ?
also a router has dhcp

peer to peer with win xp
professional or home version ?

basically you need to have the same workgroup name, share a folder and put ppl you want to access the share in the "share permissions" and the "security" folder. The only way in p2p to get the other ppl on a specific pc to add their account is to have that account ALSO on the pc along with the local account, if not everytime you click on a share across the network you will have to type in the user name and password of an account on that pc. So to do it right >>> there is pc A B C with A logon mike , B logon pam, C logon jorge. So that means A needs logon accounts pam and jorge, B needs accounts logons mike and jorge, C needs mike and pam. You can see that this could get very combersome with more then 10 work stations.
If you have xp professional, turn off simple file sharing
open windows explorer ( not ie ) click tools / folder options, then view tab
scroll down to and uncheck "use simple file" , while you are there click the radio button show hidden file s and folders and uncheck do not show file extensions for known file types..or what ever, you want to show file extensions.
Tell me if you have home ver, slighly different networking

do you have a router
how many ports does it have?
how many ppl there will be wireless ?
will the router support the wired connections ?
also a router has dhcp

peer to peer with win xp
professional or home version ?

basically you need to have the same workgroup name, share a folder and put ppl you want to access the share in the "share permissions" and the "security" folder. The only way in p2p to get the other ppl on a specific pc to add their account is to have that account ALSO on the pc along with the local account, if not everytime you click on a share across the network you will have to type in the user name and password of an account on that pc. So to do it right >>> there is pc A B C with A logon mike , B logon pam, C logon jorge. So that means A needs logon accounts pam and jorge, B needs accounts logons mike and jorge, C needs mike and pam. You can see that this could get very combersome with more then 10 work stations.
If you have xp professional, turn off simple file sharing
open windows explorer ( not ie ) click tools / folder options, then view tab
scroll down to and uncheck "use simple file" , while you are there click the radio button show hidden file s and folders and uncheck do not show file extensions for known file types..or what ever, you want to show file extensions.
Tell me if you have home ver, slighly different networking

This is the router I am thinking of getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124024

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

At the moment there will be no one running wireless. Everyone will be wired. I just wanted to know how to do it if we were all going to be wireless. But I will save that question for a new topic post.

When I said P2P I simply meant we want to keep things simple. We were going to run our networking through a switch and that's it. Everyone will be in the room. Nothing will be done over the Internet or through some building wide LAN. Just our own little thing in a room through a Gigabyte switch.

None of the computers will have XP pro. All of the comps will have Visa Home or XP Home. Most will have Vista.

Also whats dhcp?

Deepblue

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. it is used to assign a IP address
to each computer when it comes on the network.

like i said before this is simple you boot up all your computer attached to the switch it assigns a ip to the systems.
one system starts and hosts ( the game server )the game and all others will see it as a LAN game and your good to go.

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. it is used to assign a IP address
to each computer when it comes on the network.

like i said before this is simple you boot up all your computer attached to the switch it assigns a ip to the systems.
one system starts and hosts ( the game server )the game and all others will see it as a LAN game and your good to go.
When you say "it" asigns an IP address. What is "it"? The host / server computer?

Last edited: