how do i connect my laptop to my desktop

sidthereal

hi, i have a toshiba laptop runnin on windows 2000
and my desktop is a HP vl420 running on windows xp,
is there any chance of me hooking, the two up together to transfer files. frrom the desktop to the pc?
and what do i need to acheive this, in the most inexpensive way possible
thanks
regards
Sid

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
This can be done easily and it is very cheap, all you need is a "cross-over" network cable, easily bought from any computer shop. Plug the cable in the network port on each machine and run the networking wizard to create a direct connection. Windows does the rest...

sidthereal

i saw something like tht in a computer shop, it connected the two usb ports..
i wanted to post here and confirm,
cos the place where the shop is located is kinda shady

kof2000

u can do it wireless or wired just find out the ip your router made for those two computers and setup a network place for them.

sidthereal

it like i got one ip address, and im using a wireless modem to connect the laptop to the net.
its like a linksys wireless system, connected to the dsl modem.
tht ways i get the net on both the comps.

kof2000

i basically just make an ip for the computer i want to connect and add it to network place it may or may not need a login and password is up to the person.

i do this for my xbox too so no need to use any ftp programs i used to deal with. just drag and drop. :D speeds great too.

sidthereal

could u give me a step by step guide,
il give it a shot,
the thing is, its my dad whose a computer whiz in networkin who fixed up the wireless access within the house,
i just want to surprise him by transfering a few files onto his comp :)
so basically, im a newbie, and u can expect the most ridiculous of questions and posts.

sidthereal

kof2000 said:
i basically just make an ip for the computer i want to connect and add it to network place it may or may not need a login and password is up to the person.

i do this for my xbox too so no need to use any ftp programs i used to deal with. just drag and drop. :D speeds great too.

ive been thinking, that this would be the best way to do it,
if anyone could please link me to a good tutorial on how to set it up, id be really grateful.
i really need to hook the two up, to help my work.

kof2000

yeah but if u have access u his pc thats good cuz he might be blocking other computer from accessing his pc.