How do I connect my Laptotp to My Desktop?

karder

My laptop is on the verge of breaking, so I need to transfer all the files I have on it to my desktop. I have tried to use an external HDD but it doesn't work. Smaller files work, but some of the bigger ones (5-8gb) simply wont transfer on to the external HDD.

Is there any way to simply connect the two computers together?

My desktop has Vista Home Premium 64-bit and my laptop Vista Home Premium 32-bit version.

Thanks

Ethan3.14159

If you have a router you can setup a file sharing network between computers on your home network by allowing file sharing in the Network and Sharing window. Then view Computers and Devices, and drag the new files into the desktops Public folder

karder

ok sounds good. Will try that. But is there no way to connect to computers directly? For example with an ethernet cable and maybe some software?

TechRookie

i think thats kind of what EthanPi is suggesting mate... use the ethernet cable to hook it up to your home network..

karder

ooooooh, ok. Darn it. I was hoping I could connect the two computers directly to each other, without the middle hand (Router). Definitely will give that a try then. Thanx for the help fellas...

TFT

VIP Member
ok sounds good. Will try that. But is there no way to connect to computers directly? For example with an ethernet cable and maybe some software?

Yes there is, buy a serial PC to PC file transfer cable and use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" thats built into the OS