How Do I do this??????????

Scrapped>.<

hi
I just got a Dual Internal DVD burner, but i don't know how to install it. I took out the old dvd Drive that i had in the computer but i don't know how to set the jumper on the new one.

and also on my dvd burner under the Data Capacity it says 650MB, 700MB, 4.3GB and 8.5GB. My dvd-r is 4.7GB so I was woundering since it said nothing about 4.7GB under the Data Capacity, does that mean i will only be able to use 4.3GB of my DVD-r4.7GB?

and how do i use the Dual DVDr? do i just use it like the normal ones and just flip the DVD when one side is done or does it write on both side with out my fliping the dvd to the other side?

P.S I tried useing the external Dual DVD burner but it didn't work out for me because my USB is older than 2.0, I didn't want to upgrade the USB so i got a internal one. Will i be able to use Dual dvd Burner to its full capacity? or is my computer just to old to handle it?

I have Sony Vaio 1.5GHz P4 with 512SDRAM and 310GB of Harddrive. it is about 3 years old.

Last edited:

lynx6200

As far as what the dvd drive says on the bottom, i wouldnt worry about. It should just depend on what your cd or dvd says it can hold. To install the drive, slide it in to your open bay, screw it in to secure it, connect the ide cable to the mother board, and power cord to psu. On back of the drive, there should be a little jumper, plastic cap covering some pins. Either in your dvd booklet, or on the drive it self, should say slave/master, be sure to have the jumper on master if this is your main cd/dvd drive, otherwise slave if its your secondary.

Im not sure about the dual layer stuff, see what other people say.

flip218

VIP Member
Dual layer does involve turning the dvd over

No you don't. Turning the dvd over would be a double sided dvd-r.

also on my dvd burner under the Data Capacity it says 650MB, 700MB, 4.3GB and 8.5GB

It's good you posted that, cause there is a difference between a Dual Format Internal DVD burner and a Dual Layer[/b] Internal DVD burner.

My dvd-r is 4.7GB so I was woundering since it said nothing about 4.7GB under the Data Capacity, does that mean i will only be able to use 4.3GB of my DVD-r4.7GB?

The 4.7GB capacity is misleading. It's actually more like 4.38 GB of space, but you don't want to burn to the edge.

and how do i use the Dual DVDr?

I guess I should ask what you plan to do with the dual layer disk? If it's for dvd backups it a simple rip and burn. Use DVD Decrypter. Rip in ISO mode, then burn the ISO.

Will i be able to use Dual dvd Burner to its full capacity? or is my computer just to old to handle it?

I have Sony Vaio 1.5GHz P4 with 512SDRAM and 310GB of Harddrive. it is about 3 years old.

You should be fine, might just take a bit longer than other pcs. Also, keep in mind for dvd backups (doing dual layer) you'll need up to 9GB of free space. You shouldn't copy on the fly. Rip to your HD first, then burn the file.