How do I fix my friends computer?

She said that one day she was suddenly unable to click and open any programs. The mouse still moved.

She had to turn it off by just pushing the off button and it got stuck on the Gateway screen. After several attempts, she was able to get back to the Desktop and it worked fine. Then, she was unable to click any programs again. Then, it works fine. It goes back and forth.

She doesn't know what version of Windows she has and neither do I, but I attached a screenshot of it.

Attachments

• IMG-20170412-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20170412-WA0003.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 11

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can't really tell from the screen shot but looks like windows 10. My guess is that it's a failing hdd.

Can't really tell from the screen shot but looks like windows 10. My guess is that it's a failing hdd.

Is there any way to fix that, or is it just a matter of time before it stops working?

And is there any way to prolong it's life?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah take it in to have it fixed or have her get someone that knows about computers to diagnose and repair. I just had to replace a clients drive for this exact same issue she is having. Tested drive and it was a read element failure, could not be fixed.