How do I fix this?

Discussion in 'Computer Memory and Hard Drives' started by Charley Farley, May 11, 2019.

1. Charley Farley

Charley Farley New Member

Hi can you help me please ?

My laptop crashed while installing free software. I had to reinstall windows 8.1.

It also took out my Seagate expansion portable drive.
    I can see it in the device manager but it will not let me see or access what is on the drive.

What does this mean in the image below and can I fix it ?

Thank you in advance
    Screenshot - 10_05_2019 , 03_32_52.png

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Installing software won't do anything to your drives. Just sounds like your expansion drive is bad. I would download and run Seagates disk diagnostic utility to see if it can fix the drive.

3. Charley Farley

Charley Farley New Member

Thank your reply John35
    I have tried that. Unfortunatly whatever I try doesn't work, the software canot find the drive. After a while the drive shows up but almost stops the computer because the external drive is spinning all the time, once it loads after I plug they usb lead in
    What I don't know is if it is just spinning or loading something ! I am a complete novice at the diagnostic side of computers. If its a virus how do I scan a disk that says its size is 0. Along with everything else on the drive. Last thought is it poss to reset the drive to default settings?
    Thank you for your thoughts. Very much appreciated. Charley Farley

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

What free software did you download? The computer freezes up when you connect the drive because the drive is bad. If the drive has important data on it that you need, then you'll need to send it to a data recovery center to recover it, although its not cheap. Drives can go out at anytime without warning. Most people do multiple backup media for very important stuff.