How do I get actual internet service with this mobile hotspot?

JohnJSal

I've been trying to shop around for a mobile hotspot to use as my home internet, but I'm not really having much luck finding anything that seems good. I saw this product on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-...rds=mobile+hotspot&qid=1602706160&sr=8-5&th=1

But I'm confused how all this works. Let's say I buy the above item. What then? I know it doesn't provide the internet service itself, so do I then need to sign up with AT&T or T-Mobile for a hotspot plan? Is it possible to even sign up for a plan with them without having to purchase their own equipment?

It sounds like you sign up with a carrier, get a SIM card, put it into the above device, and then you have internet, but it still seems confusing to me. The only plans I see on the carrier websites seem to be cell phone data plans. I have done searches for mobile hotspot plans and have found mention of some, but I can't seem to find much more information about them (like the actual carrier website for them).

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you need to verify that the device works on their service. They will give you a sim card to put in the device to get internet. You basically just pay for data usage for like a tablet.

JohnJSal

Yeah, you need to verify that the device works on their service. They will give you a sim card to put in the device to get internet. You basically just pay for data usage for like a tablet.

Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like a SIM card activated with a cell phone plan won't work, so it has to be specifically activated for a device like this I guess, or a tablet, like you said. But I just can't seem to find these things on the T-Mobile website! I can't find SIM cards or plans for them. I guess I just have to call them, but I prefer to see all my options before I talk to someone about it.

strollin

I found this similar device on the T-Mobile website: Franklin T9 Mobile Hotspot

You would need to talk to T-Mobile in order to add a data plan to that device. Most likely any carrier you look at will sell you one of these devices along with a data plan to go with it.