How do I get my internet back?

Brimstone50X

I stupidly changed the router's password via the router's web page. After that, I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. Things I've tried with no luck:
1. Forget all profile networks.
2. Netsh Winsock Reset.
3. Ipconfig /flushdns.
4. Ipconfig /renew
5. Reset my router numerous times.
6. Reset my Netgear WiFi Extender, numerous times.
7. Network Reset
No matter what I do, it always says: Can't connect to this network.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Reset your router to default and power it off
Power cycle your modem. Wait for it to boot and then power on the router.
Hardwire your computer to the router and verify you get a DHCP address
Log into the admin page (normally 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or similar) and go through the setup wizard to change the settings you want.

Brimstone50X

Reset your router to default and power it off
Power cycle your modem. Wait for it to boot and then power on the router.
Hardwire your computer to the router and verify you get a DHCP address
Log into the admin page (normally 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or similar) and go through the setup wizard to change the settings you want.
Thank you for reply! Sadly, I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to reach my room from the router, if that's what you mean by hardwire. Logging into the admin 192.168.0.1 page, is where I messed up by changing the network key, the first time around.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If you don't have a laptop you can probably use your phone to connect to whatever wifi signal it spits out by default.

When you say that you have: "5. Reset my router numerous times."
Did you do so by KEEPING the RESET button in for more than 30 seconds?

Som routers are only factory reset if you depress the reset-button while the router is powerless, and you keep it depressed while you connect the power... And keep it depressed untill you see the LEDs flashing in a certain manner!

beers

Staff member
I stupidly changed the router's password via the router's web page. After that, I couldn't connect to the internet anymore. Things I've tried with no luck:
1. Forget all profile networks.
2. Netsh Winsock Reset.
3. Ipconfig /flushdns.
4. Ipconfig /renew
5. Reset my router numerous times.
6. Reset my Netgear WiFi Extender, numerous times.
7. Network Reset
No matter what I do, it always says: Can't connect to this network.
Why are you haphazardly finagling with stuff?

Work your way back out and reset things to factory defaults. Start with the ISP router and your range extender.

If you replicate what the wifi name and password used to be you won't have to update it on all of the devices.

CP30126

You changed the network key, not the password that lets you into the router's firmware, correct? I find it strange that you were not able to reset the router.
Most modern routers should have a button on them that lets you connect to the network without having to type a network key/password. I think it's called "WPS". Sometimes it is represented by two curved arrows. If you press it while trying to connect to the network/router, the connection should go through. Then you can log into the router's firmware again, and restore it to the factory settings or change the network key again.

beers

Staff member
You changed the network key, not the password that lets you into the router's firmware, correct? I find it strange that you were not able to reset the router.
Most modern routers should have a button on them that lets you connect to the network without having to type a network key/password. I think it's called "WPS". Sometimes it is represented by two curved arrows. If you press it while trying to connect to the network/router, the connection should go through. Then you can log into the router's firmware again, and restore it to the factory settings or change the network key again.
WPS is best left disabled due to vulnerabilities in the implementation.