How do I get my two Tesla M40s to work simultaneously on my Asus B450-F Gaming II Board?

jonathynblythe

Hello,

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (no video, I'm using an NVIDIA video card for that) and an Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II board. I'm using two NVIDIA Tesla M40 GPUs, but my computer only uses the one GPU (PCIEX16_1 slot) and does nothing with the GPU in the PCIEX16_2 slot. Why is this? My understanding is that this Asus board supports SLI and Crossfire, but how do you activate it? They're both the same model of GPU, so can't I get them to work simultaneously for a total of 6000+ Cuda cores (they each have about 3000+) for deep learning and machine learning?

Thanks in advance. Jon.

Intel_man

VIP Member
SLi might as well be deprecated at this point.

Pretty sure those professional grade cards don't support SLI.
Hmm... that's probably true. It looks like it has the SLi fingers, but it might not support it anyways on the driver level. The M40 will need to run the quadro drivers.

Also, the M40 has no fan. I sure hope you have some sort of a cooling method to blow air through that passive cooler.

Darren

Staff member
SLi might as well be deprecated at this point.

Hmm... that's probably true. It looks like it has the SLi fingers, but it might not support it anyways on the driver level. The M40 will need to run the quadro drivers.

Also, the M40 has no fan. I sure hope you have some sort of a cooling method to blow air through that passive cooler.
Yeah I was finding a noticeable lack of information for SLI support one way or the other, so took that to mean it doesn't have it .

SLI doesn't really make sense for that kind of workload anyway and as you said, is in itself pretty deprecated at this point.

beers

Staff member
You wouldn't really need SLI for non-gaming accelerated workloads. Keep in mind those cards are thermally designed to be in a rackmount style chassis that has a high amount of directed airflow from front to back in order to facilitate the heatsink design.

You should be able to use the second slot but will probably be limited to 4x on that card.

1647529156719.png