How do I get sound with a PS4 connected to my HP2511x?

ds343

I tried connecting my PS4 to my monitor. Everything seems fine, except that I can't get sound. The HDMI is connected to the monitor and I have speakers connected to the tower.

I tried playing with the settings in order to adjust the sound so that it is linked with the HDMI, but with no luck. Under "Playback," I only see "Speakers" selected with a green check mark. Then I also see 2 "NVIDIA Output" both with a red arrow pointing down. I see nothing else I can select.

UnholyVision

If you're plugging in a PS4 to this monitor directly you will not be able to control the volume through a computer. What I would suggest doing is unplugging your PC from your monitor and directly connect the monitor via HDMI to your PS4. Considering most monitors do not have that advanced of menus for inputs it could be trying to pull from your PC via DVI to HDMI or something wacky like that.

Another thing I would suggest if you're getting video from the PS4 is to go into the settings and disable HDCP. Not sure where that is located, but I have read the PS4 allowed the disabling of it in settings. This will prevent your monitor from going black at some random point when HDCP protected content plays.

Edit: I changed my search entry around and finally found something on it.
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/04/guide_how_to_disable_the_ps4s_hdcp_encryption

So it's Settings --> System --> Enable HDCP
Then just uncheck that.

Last edited:

ds343

Unplugging the cable that connects the tower to the monitor (and just having the PS4 connect to the monitor via HDMI) does not do it. My monitor is HP2511x, it does not have any place where I could connect speakers to it. So maybe it is not possible to get sound with this particular monitor connected to a PS4.

I disabled HDCP.

----

Okay, I semi-solved this issue. The PS4 controller has a audio jack. Initially when I connected my headphones to this controller, I got no sound. But if I hold the PS button on the PS4 controller (during a game, although I would image that there is also a way to do this outside of the game), it takes me to a PS4's "Quick Menu". There I selected "Sound/Devices." From there I scrolled to "Output to Headphones" and selected "All Audio" (NOT "Chat Audio").

Last edited:

UnholyVision

So maybe it is not possible to get sound with this particular monitor connected to a PS4.

Okay, I semi-solved this issue. The PS4 controller has a audio jack. Initially when I connected my headphones to this controller, I got no sound. But if I hold the PS button on the PS4 controller (during a game, although I would image that there is also a way to do this outside of the game), it takes me to a PS4's "Quick Menu". There I selected "Sound/Devices." From there I scrolled to "Output to Headphones" and selected "All Audio" (NOT "Chat Audio").
Perhaps, that is the case. When I was looking at your monitor model on HP's site it had links for troubleshooting the Monitors Audio. Not much info on your monitor, but I guess HP possible messed up again, but this time on the website.

The best ways to get audio from a PS4 with no HDMI audio is via the optical toslink (a.k.a S/PDIF) or bluetooth headphones or speakers. The PS4 allows you to swap the type of audio to one of these as your default. Making your life ten times easier. Not to mention S/PDIF would make life awesome in many ways. You could run that to DAC/AMPs, Dolby Digital supported devices, et cetera. (Nonetheless, good to see you're up and running in a semi-solved solution).

ds343

Ok, 2 months later, I more or less fully solved the issue (say 95%). I'm such a moron, all I had to do was plug the speakers into the controller. Sound works perfect. It's not absolutely 100% ideal to have the speakers plugged into the controller, but really it's fine.