How do I restore my computer?

sumink_beautiful

I'm not very experienced with computers and I want to restore my computer back to its original state but I don't understand how to do this. I have the master disks but for some reason it won't boot off them. The reason I want to restore it is because it keeps freezing/crashing and I just want it back 'as new'. I have backed up all the files I don't want to lose so I am ready to restore.

P.S Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place

magicman

VIP Member
Before restoring it, have you run virus checking software, spyware software, checked the hard drive for errors etc.? If you have, or you dont want to go down that route and want a clean slate, then reformatting the hard disk wold be the only way to "start afresh". The computer wouldn't understand to boot from original disk. Refortatting a hard drive wipes all data from that hard drive, so make sure everything you want saved is backed up (you said it is, so fine).

WARNING: Never reformat a hard drive unless you have the original Windows CD's at hand.

That said, there are many websites that can give you detailed instruction of how reformat the hard drive, followed by reinstalling Windows (the crucial part). Just type in "reformat hard drive" into google and print off any important pages for reference.

I would recommend doing the above as a last resort. You will lose the ability to print, use the internet etc. until you reinstall the software to run them. Firstly try the things I mentioned to start with, especially downloading an update driver for your graphics card. If you let me know the make of the card, I will post the link for the update driver for you.

Hope this helps.

sumink_beautiful

Yes I have run Norton and AVG virus scans and have deleted the viruses they came up with. I have also made a note of all the programs on my PC and backed up the files for those I don't have disks for already. I did the Google search but all the sites it came up with are assuming that the PC will boot from the master disks and mine will not.

S_Doherty

Well, there are many ways to get a computer up and running 'healthy' again. If you are looking to do a fresh install of an OS then what you need to make sure is that your computer is to boot from CD, this can be done in the BIOS...cant say exactly where because it will vary from PC to PC. Sounds like this is what is holding you back....

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Sorry As i've not read most of what's been said already but here goes..

It sounds as though she's on the right track here so lets not confuse the subject... You said you have restore disks? then yes she should be able to just put the disks in and reboot and will be prompted for a format and reinstall (it is just that simple). So then the real thing we need to ask is just why it wont boot from the CD and that could be the bios settings.

When you reboot your computer you hit a key and it will enter the bios where you would then set it to boot from CD rom... What key it would be is another story but it could be the Delete key or sometimes somthing else depending. Sorry S Doherty as you've basicly pointed this out already ;-)..

sumink_beautiful

I don't know how to get into the BIOS. My friend said about the pressing a key but I've tried delete, f2, f12 and f10 and nothing works. Also, there is supposed to be a message when the PC is powered on that says 'Press F12 to enter BIOS' or words to that effect but I don't get this message, it goes straight onto the windows logo. Is there another way to get into the BIOS?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When exactly do you press that key? If you press it (whatever it is) too soon, it wont get registered by the system... :)

sumink_beautiful

Right I managed to get into the BIOS today. But my next question is... what exactly do I do/change to get it to boot off a disk?

I've had the same problem but I didn't get to fix it (If anyone knows how check out my thread). Anyways, to get your CD to boot, I had to press Esc, after this you should see a screen that shows a bunch of options. Go to CD-ROM and it should boot up. Hope this helps.

shaidi

You can try this option to restore at startup. Its very usefull.

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

If you didnt understand, you could check out the site i posted below

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

Shaidi - Sorry to hijact but you seem to know a lot. Is there anyway to get on to do a system restore (Or get on to Windows for that matter) if you can't get to a Command Prompt?

Thanks.

sumink_beautiful

I can do the system restore but I want it back to it's original state, like when I first bought the computer. I have a Packard Bell PC and it says in the manual that I should have a program called SmartRestore... I don't have this program.

Also, in the manual under the heading 'Packard Bell Recovery Program' It says I should insert the Master CD, restart and a menu should come up when it restarts. It's this menu I'm not getting, it just loads Windows as normal. If I can just get this menu to show up I'll be fine as it explains it from there in the manual. I am really stuck as to what I should be changing in the BIOS, I am scared of black screens and don't want to totally muck up my computer!

sumink_beautiful

I just need to know what to change in the BIOS so that it will boot off the master disks. I can type out what it says at the moment in the BIOS if that would help.