How do I send Internet from my pc to my router.

Eric4753

Well basically I use my phone for Internet and I can't get my phone to work with my router so could I use my phone to send Internet to my older pc to send Internet to my router so my other pc in my basement could receive the internet?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean, you can't get your phone to work with your router? Your phone should have no problems connecting to a wireless router unless the security key is wrong. What router do you have? Using a wireless router and wireless adapters is your best chance unless you want to run ethernet cables to all your pc's.

Eric4753

No im wanting to connect my phone to my router so I can give my ROUTER Internet so my pc downstairs can connect to it

tremmor

wants to share the internet from the cell to the router. Would think the router would have to support it. Think its called tether like from a cell to a laptop to share the internet.
Might make a cable to share from the cell to a computer directly. interesting but not for me. It would have to be a cable from cell to cat5?
Im guessing.....

Eric4753

I'm sorry I was being confusing, but tremmor is right Im trying to send Internet to my pc then from my pc to my router how would I do that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There really is no way to do that and be beneficial anyway. Is your phone hotspot capable? If so you can share your 3g/4g internet to up to 8 devices or so.

Eric4753

Yes yes I know that. Here is the problem bear with me you may get confused. My gaming pc is in my basement. MY only source of internet is my phone and it gets no signal downstairs in my basement. The phone's output signal does not reach my pc from anywhere in the house. So my wifi tether thing cant reach my gaming pc, so I wanted to see if

A. If I could get my phone to work with my router so my pc could connect to my internet.

B. If I could somehow hook my old pc up to my phone and share my internet TO my router which would then send internet to my gaming pc (basement one)

C. I have a wifi extender maybe that could work?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you could get this to work, it would be so terribly slow you couldn't browse hardly game on it. Your router would have to support ddwrt so that it could act as an access point and send out your phones wifi into your home. Not sure if they make micro usb to ethernet cables to hook up your router that they.

Eric4753

Could I get it to work with my wireless router extender? It boosts my router's signal wirelessly so could I get those two to work?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I know this is an old thread, but perhaps my experience will help anyone else in the same situation.

I used to have Comcast, which fed my wireless router, which had wired connections to my PC and Xbox, and wireless to my two laptops, tablet, and phone. I ditched Comcast because of issues I had with them, and wanted to use my phone as an internet connection, however I didn't want to tether all my devices to my phone as the range is much worse, plus I have equipment on my LAN such as NAS units and file sharing that I didn't want to give up.

There are two ways I could have went. I could do USB tethering from my phone to my wireless router, however the USB port on the router can't provide enough power to the phone to keep it charged. I also would have to run a long USB cord to get from the router to a spot where I get decent service, plus I can't easily use my phone as it's tethered to my router. I went the wireless route, which I'll explain below what I did.

- My phone runs as a normal mobile hotspot.

- I have an older wireless router (Asus RT-N16) running a third party firmware called Tomato.

- The RT-N16 is configured as a "client" and connects to my phones hotspot. Once it connects, all 4 LAN ports are usable for internet access.

- I have my RT-N16 router connected via ethernet to my Asus AC68U's (802.11ac wireless router) WAN port. So effectively the RT-N16 is providing internet to my AC68U.

- Now all my clients connect the same way as before. I have my two hard wired devices connected to my router, and all my existing clients are connected. I can still share files at 1Gbps over the LAN and up to 1300Mbps over the wireless.

So for a quick overview:

Android phone running as a mobile hotspot > Old wireless router acting as a client bridge > New wireless router > Clients

Eric4753

If it were that simpleI wouldn't have asked in the first place. I think I will try WRXguy1'spost. The only question I have is how did you configure your router as a client?

Geoff

VIP Member
If it were that simpleI wouldn't have asked in the first place. I think I will try WRXguy1'spost. The only question I have is how did you configure your router as a client?
I tried using the stock firmware and DD-WRT, neither had that option. I could set it up as a wireless bridge, but for that it needed the MAC address of my phone and I had to manually connect it each time.

I found the open firmware, Tomato, which on the main wireless page lets you use the AP as a client. When you set it to be a client, it asks for the SSID, security type, and password - which you put in the wireless info from your hotspot.