How do I stop my DVDs from temporarily freezing in the player

Tyster

Greetings to all.

I have an internal DVD/CD Rom drive in an E-machine that is about 10 years old. The computer works o.k., but when I play DVDs SOME of them, not all, will temporarily freeze up, then play for a few minutes and freeze again.

Does anyone know of any "home remedies" to fix this problem or know of a cheap thing or product I can buy to fix the problem.

To buy a new DVD module would also require that I buy an updated version of windows as this one is still using Windows 98. Yikes.

Also, I am not connected to the internet on this one so I cannot download anything for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyster

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The problem could have countless underlying issues. The drive could be failing, software (either the media software or some background program) is sapping too many resources, the computer can't keep up with the DVD (unlikely but still a possibility) the drive doesn't like something about the disk (copy protection and what not).

Windows 98 is ancient. My guess is you haven't reloaded the system in quite some time either. A fresh load of Windows would probably solve the issue, but a new computer would almost certainly fix it :rolleyes:

dlx509

i think you should clean the DVD drive, its probably dirty.
your machine is 10 years old maybe its time for it to retire.

1337dingo

i agree with dlx if ur runnin 98.. u might want a hole new machine that way everything will be better