How do I turn down the Fan speed on my pc

Eric4753

Well I just installed a new fan on my computer ,and the fan is running way to fast compared to other one. They are both 140mm NZXT fans.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric4753

To the power thing at the back of the computer. Its a 4 pin ,but I got it connected even though I have a 3 pin. Could this cause the problem

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You mean you're connected directly to the power supply? That's why it's so loud. When connected directly to the power supply the fan will run at full speed. Your best bet is to use the 3-pin connector and find a 3 or 4 pin fan connector on your motherboard. It will then throttle the fan speed depending on detected temperatures.

MMM

You mean you're connected directly to the power supply? That's why it's so loud. When connected directly to the power supply the fan will run at full speed. Your best bet is to use the 3-pin connector and find a 3 or 4 pin fan connector on your motherboard. It will then throttle the fan speed depending on detected temperatures.

I think you will find the Fan power connector that is plugged in the power supply will not plug in on the motherboard. different sizes.

Eric4753

My other fans are connected there ,but they run fine normal speed

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I think you will find the Fan power connector that is plugged in the power supply will not plug in on the motherboard. different sizes.

Typically fans come with fan connectors but include 4-pin molex adapters ;)

Eric4753

All of the other fans are connected there ,they are all 3 pins connectors. I received a 4 pin connector fan.

ZeroSec

All of the other fans are connected there ,they are all 3 pins connectors. I received a 4 pin connector fan.

It's possible that those new fans run at a higher rpm, so you can either connect it to your mobo instead and adjust the fan rpm in the bios, or you can get "fan controllers" that will take care of your fan's rpm.