How do QR codes work exactly?

Is link or other information contained entirely within the pattern? I created some QR codes through one website. I didn't realize I was start a 7 day trial. I guess the site can monitor the number of times the QR code is read. How can it do that if the code is universal and free? How does information get back to the site where it was created?

Any suggestions for making QR codes without a membership?

beers

Staff member
You can easily embed a unique link and just count the hits to that path on your webserver, nothing to do with QR specifically.

But yes much like a barcode you're just representing data in a different way.

The Wiki has a bunch of information, I would suggest starting there for most of your research.

I just assume mobile phones read code, and treat it like a hyperlink. So how does information about reading this hyperlink that is physically printed on paper make it back to any site?

I created code with qr.io and the code worked before, but over a week later it doesn't. It says it is paused until I give them money. So that must mean the code first sends a person to their site before forwarding them? I assumed the QR code contained the entire location information on its own?

After the free trial they don't work. You have to pay monthly or yearly.
The code itself contains only information to a QR code website that contains any information you apply to it? There are no independent QRs that act as easy scan hyperlinks? All must go through a service?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure your qr.io code directs to them first then where ever you want to go for tracking purposes, I have not used the service though.

That said, you don't need to use a commercial service to generate a code. For example -- this should bring you to the 4th post in this thread.
1700109371623.png
For a very detailed overview, https://www.nayuki.io/page/creating-a-qr-code-step-by-step lets you enter data, generate the code and follow along step by step each stage. I generated the qr above with the library they published, https://github.com/nayuki/QR-Code-generator

Pretty sure your qr.io code directs to them first then where ever you want to go for tracking purposes, I have not used the service though.

That said, you don't need to use a commercial service to generate a code. For example -- this should bring you to the 4th post in this thread.
View attachment 11392
For a very detailed overview, https://www.nayuki.io/page/creating-a-qr-code-step-by-step lets you enter data, generate the code and follow along step by step each stage. I generated the qr above with the library they published, https://github.com/nayuki/QR-Code-generator
How many noncommercial QR code generators are there?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I do not have a count, but if whatever service/library is not trying to track clicks/visits via the code it is probably free. Alternatively tack on "free" to your QR generator search and you will likely find lots

I do not have a count, but if whatever service/library is not trying to track clicks/visits via the code it is probably free. Alternatively tack on "free" to your QR generator search and you will likely find lots

Is there overhead to running a commercial QR code generator site? All the ones I see want to charge $15 or more a month. I can't imagine them having too many costs.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
There is overhead. Is it a lot? Generally, I would not expect so. You have to handle all the traffic that you are redirecting. It is not a lot per 'click' but over large numbers it can add up. I imagine most of the cost is the to support the 'increased value' you are getting by them providing hit counts, hit locations, etc.

There is overhead. Is it a lot? Generally, I would not expect so. You have to handle all the traffic that you are redirecting. It is not a lot per 'click' but over large numbers it can add up. I imagine most of the cost is the to support the 'increased value' you are getting by them providing hit counts, hit locations, etc.
Hypothetically a person could create a QR code that links to a free webpage one has control over that can count click before forwarding on to the location of actual interest?

Is:

A good free option?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Hypothetically a person could create a QR code that links to a free webpage one has control over that can count click before forwarding on to the location of actual interest?
I suppose, but if you do not explicitly care about visits via the QR, only total visits then why bother, just track overall visits.
Is:

A good free option?
There is a 50 scan limit per code/per month in the free tier. If you are not expecting more than that, then sure it will be fine. Otherwise, something like https://www.qrcode-monkey.com will give you unlimited use.

I suppose, but if you do not explicitly care about visits via the QR, only total visits then why bother, just track overall visits.

There is a 50 scan limit per code/per month in the free tier. If you are not expecting more than that, then sure it will be fine. Otherwise, something like https://www.qrcode-monkey.com will give you unlimited use.
That qrcode-monkey forwarded me to a different site when I signed up. I wasn't sure if it was a front for the main site.

Well it would track all visits only through QR Code. The QR code would send them to lets say a free angelfire page (or whatever free hosting exists) which would have a counter, and that page would automatically forward them to the page I wanted them to go to in the first place. So two quick stops.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That qrcode-monkey forwarded me to a different site when I signed up. I wasn't sure if it was a front for the main site.
There are 2 versions, one is untracked, which is completely free, no signups. Just enter the data and save the resulting png.

The sign in version will be similar to every paid version where you might get limited free use but expect to pay for use.

tremmor

Im confused still. Ive only used a app for couple years to read it, not create it.
Now there asking me to pay monthly free to read it. Ive tried several with same
results. they want me to pay. again is there any options for reading only.
thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Im confused still. Ive only used a app for couple years to read it, not create it.
Now there asking me to pay monthly free to read it. Ive tried several with same
results. they want me to pay. again is there any options for reading only.
thanks
Usually any phone can scan a QR code. The app is built in at least on my Samsung it is and doesn't cost anything.

I guess there is a qr4office add-on for excel or word? I can't access the page on this apps privacy policy so I'm suspicious. But I'm assuming it is designed to create direct to site QRs not through 3rd party? I'm not sure how I feel about softwares not officially made by Microsoft.