How do speakers displace air?

Kesava

I just really want to know what goes on inside a speaker. because i dont understand how my subwoofer can pump so much air out of it without using a fan :D

anyone know?

brian

VIP Member
well it is kinda like a big air pusher. it moves back and forth. so it pushes the air when it gets power and a electro magnet pushes the cone out. thus pushing air. which goes to you and your ears and you ears are the same thing. it can feel the presure change and makes noise. no noise is technaly air presure. even slight sounds still have this presure but you cant feel it. watch mythbusters on the subwoofer. they have a good what it is, i will see if it is on youtube.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
It doesn't create air, it simply changes pressure and forces it.

The internal workings of speakers are very basic. It's nothing more than a magnet connected to a cone of some sort. As the magnet gets power, it pushes the cone creating sound waves.

Hah, if you're really curious, look for a junkyard or something and try to get some old speakers to rip apart :p

Martix_agent

i think i get it,,

but i still dont get how subs can push so much air lol
because they are big and also because they are ran by a lot of power; they can "vibrate" quickly.

another thing is that all the air they are pushing is exiting through small holes.
if you were to build a box with a hole in it, them put a plunger in the back, you'd be able to push the same amount of air as a sub does in one stroke.

I think Martix_agent as he asked about how subs can push so much air..it does not mean that they are big ..it depends upon the terminology the are using..it also depends upon the capacity to manage the air from the speaker to get out of the speaker ..so it puches so much air..

Martix_agent

I think Martix_agent as he asked about how subs can push so much air..it does not mean that they are big ..it depends upon the terminology the are using..it also depends upon the capacity to manage the air from the speaker to get out of the speaker ..so it puches so much air..
oh he's asking how they can get the power to push so much air?
heh...silly me.

in that case, why do you think subs hook up to 300+watts? they need all that power to move them.

Kesava

lol basically i was just wondering what part in the speakers was able to move air so much. but now i know so thanks everyone

jbrown456

Can sombody ban this guy already?! Come on....

Michael

Actually, the speaker has a long piece of wire wrapped around a piece of wax paper called a voice coil, both ends of the wire connect to tinsel leads which connect to the +/- speaker cable and to an amplifier which send + and - electrons pulsing through those wires, and since there's a magnet wrapped around the diaphragm of the speaker, those + and - electrons combined with that magnet push and pull the speaker from it's idle position, causing sound waves to bounce off of the front and rear of the cone.

The amount of wattage that runs to the speaker is what causes the speaker to move so rapidly, at least up until the point of distortion, which is when the speaker has reached it's limit, or max/x (maximum excursion). Once it gets to that point, the excess wattage is turned into heat, which heats up the voice coil which can damage the speaker.

If you have two speakers, one at 300w RMS and one at 600w RMS.. both matched to an amplifier with equal ratings, the 600w RMS speaker will generally move more air, depending on the size of the cone and the quality of the box it's in.

In short; Electrons 'take turns' passing down the + and - cables into the voice coil which causes the cone to move rapidly because of the magnet that surrounds it, which causes air to move, (which creates sound waves that bounce off of your ear drums to create 'noise'.)

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

Sorry, i dont want to nick pick, but i have the urge to :p
Actually, the speaker has a long piece of wire wrapped around a piece of wax paper called a voice coil, both ends of the wire connect to tinsel leads which connect to the +/- speaker cable and to an amplifier which send + and - electrons pulsing through those wires, and since there's a magnet wrapped around the diaphragm of the speaker, those + and - electrons combined with that magnet push and pull the speaker from it's idle position, causing sound waves to bounce off of the front and rear of the cone.
Sound waves are generated, not reflected ;)
The amount of wattage that runs to the speaker is what causes the speaker to move so rapidly, at least up until the point of distortion, which is when the speaker has reached it's limit, or max/x (maximum excursion). Once it gets to that point, the excess wattage is turned into heat, which heats up the voice coil which can damage the speaker.
Actually, the hz dictates the freqeuncy in which the driver (sub woofer) oscillates. The watts dictates how far the driver oscillates.
If you have two speakers, one at 300w RMS and one at 600w RMS.. both matched to an amplifier with equal ratings, the 600w RMS speaker will generally move more air, depending on the size of the cone and the quality of the box it's in.
The amount of wattage it can handle doesnt mean how much air it moves; it means exactly what it says, how many watts it can handle. A lot of times a driver can say "1200w" but yet a "900w" one can outperform it. This is because of the diameter of the driver.
In short; Electrons 'take turns' passing down the + and - cables into the voice coil which causes the cone to move rapidly because of the magnet that surrounds it, which causes air to move, (which creates sound waves that bounce off of your ear drums to create 'noise'.)

More or less :)