How do they obtain my e mail

peter912

So I saw an e mail that was addressed to my name and the supposed senders name was a person on my friends list on Facebook . I deleted this fake e mail but was wondering how they obtained my e mail address ? The person on the friends list, on Facebook, doesn't have my e mail address. Is it possible to obtain someone's e mail from their Facebook page ? This isn't the first time that this has happened

Agent Smith

It sounds like one of your friends on Facebook got hacked, and thus got your email address and name.

Facebook is a treasure trove for phishers and hackers, and if you don't know how to tighten your Facebook security it's bound to happen. Like, never friend just anyone and only allow your friends to view your profile for starters.

peter912

It sounds like one of your friends on Facebook got hacked, and thus got your email address and name.

Facebook is a treasure trove for phishers and hackers, and if you don't know how to tighten your Facebook security it's bound to happen. Like, never friend just anyone and only allow your friends to view your profile for starters.

but no one on my friends list knows my e mail address, it must be Facebook itself that is hacked

Agent Smith

I thought Facebook shows your email address to friends. At one time Facebook used their own domain in replace of your actual email. I know this has to be true now that I think of it because my Cuz sent me an email with the address I had on file at Facebook.

I don't use that platform anymore.