how do u publish ur website on the net?

Geoff

VIP Member
Do you already have a site made, and looking for only a domain? Or do you need a web server and a domain?

SirKenin

banned
I use CuteFTP. You can also publish it direct from Front Page if you happen to use that.

A web server is a host somewhere where you can put your pages so everyone can access them.

Tayl

VIP Member
Either via an external web host that usually comes with a monthly or annual fee, or on a computer from home that has been self configured to act as a web server :). I personally use an external host, due to home Internet connections being a bit limited if your user base is larger than 1 person.

zimmy007

oh ok. ill just use an external web host. can u tell me or give me a site that tells u how to set up ur computer as a web host any way. ty :D

chrisalviola

it should depend what format your web site will be. if its in HTML its would be easy there a lot of free sites or for pay sites, if its dynamic like xml, asp or php there only little who offers free, me i use asphost.

Tayl

VIP Member
That's not quite as easy as it sounds. I don't know why that was even suggested to you.

You're joking right? That's easy to setup. It's just a matter of finding a good piece of free hosting software, that supports all known formats ( php, asp ), installing it and configuring it, with a good guide on how to do so. I used to use a piece of software that was as simple as install, drag your website files into a folder, and it was working. However unfortunately I can't recall the name of that now since I've been paying for my external host. So don't make it out to be harder than it is, because if you actually research on google into it, it's not that hard at all.

But yes, firstly, what format is your website saved in? Does it consist of just HTML code? Or does it have any php or asp pages within it? We need to know this before taking any further steps.

_simon_

You also need to make sure your ISP does not have any restrictions on hosting / bandwidth usage etc.

You need to think about reliability (uptime). If the power goes out, your site goes down. If your hard drive packs up, your site goes down etc etc.

It's all up to you, personally I pay a company to host my site and forum so that I don't have to worry about downtime.

Tayl

VIP Member
I have it all set up on my server to serve as a local website for my network. I'm well aware of what's involved. ;)

I never said you didn't, I just said don't make it sound harder than it actually is :). As I say, it depends on the software you use.

SirKenin

banned
I'm not aware of any ISPs that will allow you to do this with a personal account. Corporate account I do, but that's different. That doesn't mean they don't exist, however.

Tayl

VIP Member
What ISP are you with? Both NTL and BT (if in the UK) give you a certain amount of webspace with them for free.

chrisalviola

you need OS's that can run a web server , I have seen some of the settings on my old winnt server, it has something like DHCP, and virtual server can be assigned a domain name. I have set it ony for an intranet, i dont know if it works for internet.