How do you connect to... Internet?

Hey -- anybody know about computers?:cool:

have a trouble here. not a sort of networking kind of guy.

Dell Lattitude D630.

having trouble getting onto the internet.
does anybody happen to know how to get onto the internet?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
How are you attempting to connect? Through wireless or ethernet? Unless you connect through one of those, you won't get online that's for sure.

i am connecting through wireless.
was reinstalling drivers.
didn't work.

so uninstalled drivers. or some.
there is now a yellow triangle with an exclaimation point next to the internet icon on the task bar that says, "limited or nor connectivity"

have any ideas?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a new laptop for you or have you this for some time and just now having issues connecting?

Since you are connecting wirelessly, then make sure you connect to your network making sure you enter the security key correctly. It may also help to delete existing wireless connection and reset it back up. Also make sure you don't have a static IP setup.

i have set it up. how the drivers got corrupted OR there were TOO MANY --
even ones that i didn't need.

and that could cause conflict.
so far i've tried "disabling" and "enabling"
"uninstalling drivers" (as many as possible without sys crash)

now installed all of them.
only from DEll.com?

how do you get to the "let windows configure your network setting"?
and, how do you get to the view available networks?
i've gotten there but none show up.

another config util (prob the wrong one) has its own screen, but not able to log in there.
something about an "ownership thing", but not the standard security key that your supposed to enter.

think i did too many things. tried to get a "restore" from my driver genuis, but failed. can't even use that!

all my drivers are really messed now...... on this computer before, but i don't know how i did it.
som

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using windows XP I assume? I never allow any third party program to control the wireless. Let windows handle it. Why have another process going when you don't need it. If the correct wireless driver is installed then you should be able to view available wireless network just by clicking on the wireless icon down in the system tray by the clock. If you can't get it to connect then uninstall the wireless driver and software from add/remove programs. Then reboot the system and then we would need to get some details about the hardware in device manager. Right click on the device needing a driver and click on properties, then click on the details tab and give me the 4 digit vendor and device ID numbers. They look like this. ven_xxxx and dev_yyyy Where x and y are 4 alphanumeric digits.

Hi voyagerfan99. forgot to say hello.
johnb35, yo, what's up bro? what's goin' on my brother.
hey, long time no say (see).

yes, xp.
the thing is -- i installed the WHOLE LIST of drivers, so i'm sure that the correct one is in there somewhere, its just that ALL OF THE OTHER ones are also there too. the problem is that i don't KNOW which ones are the correct driver, so i just install the ENTIRE LIST...

YES, i figured the "view" thing out: right click on the icon -- but only IF it is on the task bar.

the problem is that i don't know if the program is a third party program, or if it helps in the process, which it might have the time i did have internet connection.

i thought that, like you said, a simple add/remove programs would do the trick -- however, i just did that: i "removed" ALL of the drivers into the add/remove programs. then deleted the spot where the ALL the drivers saved files were. then i couldn't connect even ATTEMPT to connect to the internet -- it made it worse.

before there was 3 connection points, 4 when it was working.
now there is only one. i was trying to install only the right one. i have rebooted after the installation of almost all the drivers installed this time (the third time).

right now i have "LAN or high speed". "wireless network connection". "limited or no connectivity". "intel wireless wifi link 496"

DEVICE MANAGER:
[Other Devices]
all yellow circles with a black exclaimation point
Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus
NIC1394
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
[Universal Serial Bus Controllers]
yellow circles with a black exclaimation point
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Unknown Device
all with red "x" through the device picture

((Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus))
Device Manager. Right Click. Properties. Details tab:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_14F1&DEV_2C06&SUBSYS_14F1000F&REV_1000\4&8F2C18F&0&0102

((NIC1394))
Device Manager. Right Click. Properties. Details tab:
V1394\NIC1394\2552C9A1484FC000

i hope this answers the questions you asked.
how strange, i noticed that they look much different than how they did before when i wrote them down, near a good config.

--USS Enterprise
in Deep Space 9

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The bad thing to do is install every driver on the support page. The same model of computer can come with different hardware. Can you list what service tag number is on the laptop?

For starters, you can download and install the following drivers.

Sound - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=3327213123&languageCode=en&categoryId=AU

Chipset - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=2731098209&languageCode=en&categoryId=CS

Video - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=2731127458&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI

Lan - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...leId=2731099253&languageCode=en&categoryId=NI

As far as the wireless goes, there a couple it could be and thats why I need the vendor and device ids for them. Please download and install the above drivers and then give me vendor and device ids for remaining entries that still need a driver. There will be a dial up modem but if you don't use dial up you really don't need to install the driver for it.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
As far as the wireless goes, there a couple it could be and thats why I need the vendor and device ids for them. Please download and install the above drivers and then give me vendor and device ids for remaining entries that still need a driver. There will be a dial up modem but if you don't use dial up you really don't need to install the driver for it.

Once he gives us his service tag it'll narrow down the wireless drivers to a single one.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not always. I find having the service tag number to be buggy. You enter it and you still get multiple devices it could be. We will see.

thanks voyagerfan99

yes, johnb35, here you go bro.
Service Tag:
HLP5LF1

Yea, the funny thing is (well – actually not so funny)
Is that I used to HAVE sound and be ABLE to use my mouse.

However, in the process of trying to fix my drivers, and uninstalling and add/removing and deleting,
Now I have none of these.

Not sure if I was EVER “able” to get my video functioning properly before. Maybe it was, but I don’t think so. How do you test it – know?

--Where no man (or maybe just me) has gone before
Lost in Deep Space 9

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I figured. You still get the option of 2 wireless devices, Dell and Intel. Find the entry for the wireless card and give me the 4 digit vendor and device id numbers for it.

Have you installed the other drivers yet that I linked you to?

HI JOHN
Its not a physical card that you slide into the side of the laptop.
As far as I know, the wifi is built in.
Are you talking about finding this info in the BIOS or something?
I am confused: did you mean to look at the actual “physical card”?

I’ve already installed all of those exact drivers. Do you want me to install them again?

-Totally Lost
DEEP SPACE 9

Last edited by a moderator:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
As I figured. You still get the option of 2 wireless devices, Dell and Intel. Find the entry for the wireless card and give me the 4 digit vendor and device id numbers for it.

Have you installed the other drivers yet that I linked you to?

They're two separate cards John. The Intel is the wireless for internet and the Dell Wireless is bluetooth only. He'll need to install them both.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
HI JOHN
Its not a physical card that you slide into the side of the laptop.
As far as I know, the wifi is built in.
Are you talking about finding this info in the BIOS or something?
I am confused: did you mean to look at the actual “physical card”?

I’ve already installed all of those exact drivers. Do you want me to install them again?

Totally Lost
DEEP SPACE 9

No, can you just please post a screenshot of device manager?

They're two separate cards John. The Intel is the wireless for internet and the Dell Wireless is bluetooth only. He'll need to install them both.

Good to know.

Voyager, two separate cards, huh. Didn’t know that. Thought it was just one card.
Hey John,
So I installed ALL the drivers you recommended again.

Here’s what happened:
Driver1: 1 error occurred
Driver2 Chipset: does not meet sys req

I just gave you the exact details of the device manager. Nothing has changed.
But here you go. Here’s a visual this time.

By the way, many boxes pop up on boot – like 5 or more.
Box: “found new hardware”
“yes this time only”
Search all locations and internet.
ALWAYS FAILS FINDING ANY: ALL OF THE BOXES.

--Spaceship Voyager
Lost In Space

okay, took all the screenshots, but how do i post them on this reply?
looks like i can only add "text" replies....

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will either have to attach the photo or upload the photo to a image hosting site and give me the link to it. Windows just may be corrupt with you installing and uninstalling a bunch of drivers. Can you reinstall windows fresh and then install the drivers I linked to? And then let me know what entries still need a driver.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usually members use photobucket or imageshack to host their photos. To attach photos, in the formatting toolbar in your reply you will see a paperclip. Thats the attach button. The photo has to be under a certain file size though.

1.John, the link that I gave you was where my photos were uploaded.
Did you see them?

2.there is no paperclip. I know where it is when I send emails. That’s easy: see it all the time.
However, on this “reply box”, the only options available are
“insert link”
“insert Image”
“Wrap Quote”

-- Voyager
Lost In Space