How do you "Hook-up" Wireless internet?

Bajadan236

I have Verizion DSL line(on this comp). I jsut build a comp, so i tryed to get on the inter net, but i cant because i cant have 2 modems per house hold, or some s*** like that. I bought this Linksys wireless-G Broadband Router a while again and had no luck "hooking it up". I am woundering what do i need to make this wireless router work? DO i need a wireless internet card? b/c i have no idea what i need or what to do. The guy from Verizion said that i need to have a router and then he hung up. SO please, in detail, how do i install this Linksys wireless-g Broadband Router. PLease help, and thanks

Thanks

Dan

davidireland

yes you need to have a wireless adapter in any computer you wish to go wireless on. Newer laptops have them built in (generally) but most computers do not.

If you dont want to use wireless than of course you do not need a wireless adapter, just some cable.

Make sure you have everything hooked up properly. That is, the ethernet wire from your modem going to your router's internet port on the back. You can type 192.168.1.1 to go to the router config page and preform more advanced features like port forwarding and encryption - and setting your routers "name" (SSID)

PS: If you need more detail just ask. Me or someone else would be glad to elaborate ;)

Last edited:

Bajadan236

ok, i have 2 comps, 1 down stairs and 1 up stairs, if i hook a wireless card in my down stairs computer and have the router there, can i get internet on my upstairs comp? do i need to put in a wireless card in my up stairs comp or what? I would like to say thanks for taking the time to post you comments. thanks

Thanks

Dan

adamussg

easy fix.

The computer without the wireless card is the one you are going to want to have closest to the router. You will have to run an ethernet cable to that one from the router... the shorter the cable the better. The other computer will have to have a wireless card in it if it doesn't already. The comp. hooked up via ethernet cable will have internet immediatly. The comp with wireless card will have to be configured to communicate with the router. Very easy if card and router are both linksys. Let me know when you get to that point and I'll explain from there.

adamussg

Phone line goes in your modem. Ether net cable goes from output on modem into input on router. comp without wireless card gets ethernet cable from line 1 in router.... to back of computer. Wireless card comp....... make sure program/ drivers are installed for card. the attempt to open inter net explorer... try to go to 192.168.1.1 if so this is where you will be able to get them to communicate properly.

Bajadan236

So both of my comps dont need a wireless card, olny the one without the router? Also what one should have wireless card, my comp or the familys comp, cuz is wireless internet slower thant cabled internet? Also, thanks for responding, one more thing... waht kinda of wireless card will i need, a cheap "crap" one for like $40 or one fore $150, both these prices are from Linksys wireless cards. again thanks for responding to my problem :D

Thanks

Dan

apj101

VIP Member
the shorter the cable the better
length doesnt really impact transmission speed untill you start talking about the extreme limits of the cable (about 100m).
shorter is better only in terms of cable management

oh and dont bump after 30 mins

Bajadan236

ok, when i went the that site, sorry i for get the one with xxx.xxx.1.1 < forget, while hooked up to my routher i got a user name and password screan. Whats the username and password? And if i jsut hook the wires together should i be able to get internet? or do i need to config everyting 1st? I real need help! isit worth it to just call a company like geeksquad to hyave them hook it up? im realy confused, please help.

Thanks

Dan

pies

Ok for the name type admin and for the password type password (I think thats it) it should be some where in the documentation you recieved with your router.
And you don't have to configure the computer that conects to the internet with a cable only the one that has a wireless card (I believe others can elborate on this more).
Hope this helps (ps. don't call the geek sqaud I don't think there worth it no offense to any one)
-pies

Bajadan236

well, i tryed to config/install my Linsys wireless-G Router WRT54G. I typed in my user name and pass word and got a screan saying "401 Unauthorized, Authorization required." thants it, its a pink screan with green writing. I use this URL: 192.168.1.1 < Is that right? i real dont now what to do. PLEASE HELP. THanks

Thanks

Dan

Bajadan236

ok, well the manual said to go to internet options and click on Local Internet. Well my internet options dose not list local, infact it dosent list anything its just a blank white screan. So, err wtf do i do lol. Is there any other way to have internet on another computer that dose not envolve changing anyhting? can i just plug something in that will allow me to have internet? I dont know what do to... PLEASE HELP!:(

Thanks

Dan

axgrinder73

You really need to take the time to sit down and read the manual. We can help you but you need to be able to follow simple directions.

First, the router, your DSL modem and a computer need to sitting close together.

Start by pluging the network cable(NOT the phone line connection) coming from the DSL modem into the WAN (internet) port on the router. Next, plug one end of a network cable into one of the LAN ports (there are probably 4, doesn't matter which one) on the router and plug the other end into the ethernet connection on the computer.

Unplug the power cords from both the modem and router. Power up the modem first, wait 60 seconds then power up the router. Test to see if you can access the internet. If so, Install the WI/FI card in the other computer and follow the manufacturers instructions.

If you cannot access the internet, in a web browser type the IP 192.168.1.1 and hit enter. You should get a prompt for a user name and password. The user name and password will BOTH be "admin."

If you gain access to the router's GUI, let us know for further instructions. If you cannot gain access, take a paperclip and depress the reset button on the back of the router and then repeat the power cycle instructions. Retest for internet connectivity.

-Rob