How do you make a website that retains a checklist?

JohnJSal

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about making a website that is a checklist for all the books in a particularly large book series so that I can keep track of which books I've read and also share the site with others who might want to do the same.

I'm not really asking for detailed instructions on how to do this, although any advice would be appreciated. Mainly, I just want to know what web design topic this falls under, so I can read up on how to do it. Basically, I just want the website to remember which checkboxes have been checked each time you visit the site. Maybe something to do with cookies?

If possible, I'd like to use Python as the programming language, unless maybe it's all done with JavaScript. A Google search for this topic only brought up things like "A checklist for how to make a good website," etc., so nothing that was relevant to what I want to do.

Pointing me in the right direction for how to create a website that retains information like this would be very helpful!

Thanks!

John

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
unless maybe it's all done with JavaScript.
You could.

Look up using localstorage/websql. Then you would just need to make an html form that posts to itself and have your javascript read the data and save. Cookies could work as well.

Or, you could use a spreadsheet, or a checklist app on your phone. Faster and easier.