how do you set up raid?

98vert6spd

i have a asus p4p 800se

i have 2 160gb 7200 western digital 8mb hard drives its IDE ata interface

i am currently using 1 in my comouter and justh ave another spare

do i need any special cables to do this?

what all is needed

Yeti

VIP Member
Do you want RAID 1 or 0? (explained in the RAID 101)
do i need any special cables to do this?
No
How did that answer his question?
He wasn't answering, he was giving more details (there is an edit button btw, 98vert6spd)

EDIT:
Actually I'm not sure that you're motherboard supports PATA RAID. Unless you can find something that says otherwise, you'll need a separate RAID card for those HDDs.

Last edited:

98vert6spd

Id like to set up raid 1
the primary reason i want to set this up is to ensure idont lose everything if 1 drive dies

furthermore, I have an 80gb hard drive that has prettyy much all of my files on it
including the operating system

how can i get all of that over to the 160gb i currently have hooked up?
if i copy all of it over to the 160gb hard drive will the operating system need to be reinstalled?

could someone walk me through the steps please?

I dont have enough cables to hook up more than 2 hard drives at a time

98vert6spd

ok ive done some more research

my mobo came with sata cables and i see where they go on the mobo

can you set up raid with IDE hard drives?

mine are ata 100

there doesnt appear to be a place to plug the sata cable into the hard drives

Yeti

VIP Member
can you set up raid with IDE hard drives?
Yes, you can if you have a PATA (IDE) RAID controller, but you don't have one. It is possible to buy PATA to SATA adapters but I wouldn't recommend it. If you really want RAID you'll probably have to buy a RAID card.

Yeti

VIP Member
Any of these controllers will work. Keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for; check out the support of a card before buying (ie well documented/updated drivers). That said, I've used a cheap Syba SATA RAID controller (just as a controller, I don't trust it with RAID) with no problems. If you're a bit more venturesome you could enable software RAID in windows following the instructions here and here