How do you tell what socket a CPU is without any manuals?

ADE

banned
OK, I want to get a new MOBO for my dads old computer (MOBO died) and I dont know how to tell what the socket is. I have the CPU (in good shape) and thats why I need to know either what socket the MOBO is, or the CPU (I know they have to be the same) But if I 2 options to try and find a way than just one, well... if one is easyer to get than another, well,...you get the point.

Last edited:

Impr3ssiv3

it should say somewhere on the mobo what series it is

just research that series and it will tell you what it is

jimmymac

VIP Member

under normal circumstance thats the perfect answer, however in this case if his mobo is dead then not a lot of chance of running the program unfortunately.

the other route as stated above is to look for a model number stamped on the board and google it via the working system, should tell you. Otherwise takes some pics of the mobo and post em here, am sure someone be able to tell you :)

ADE

banned
Well, on the MOBO where the CPU is in the socket, it says "PGA478B" Does this mean anything?

34erd

Well, on the MOBO where the CPU is in the socket, it says "PGA478B" Does this mean anything?
You've got socket 478.

under normal circumstance thats the perfect answer, however in this case if his mobo is dead then not a lot of chance of running the program unfortunately.
I think he edited his post to include that after I posted, maybe I just wasn't reading clear enough...

ADE

banned
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!! It says on the CPU 775! Isnt that socket type??? (I just cleaned off all the old thermal compound. :) ) Does this mean its a socket 775?

Last edited:

34erd

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!! It says on the CPU 775! Isnt that socket type??? (I just cleaned off all the old thermal compound. :) ) Does this mean its a socket 775?
Thats strange, because PGA478 is also a socket. Put simply, does the CPU have pins on the bottom (Pin Grid Array), or is the bottom just flat contacts (Land Grid Array)?

bebopin64

OK, I want to get a new MOBO for my dads old computer (MOBO died) and I dont know how to tell what the socket is. I have the CPU (in good shape) and thats why I need to know either what socket the MOBO is, or the CPU (I know they have to be the same) But if I 2 options to try and find a way than just one, well... if one is easyer to get than another, well,...you get the point.

You could just count.

fade2green514

well what specs DO you know? a cpu speed an type would definitely lead us in the right direction... pentium 4 3.4ghz would lead me to believe its a 775 socket...