How do you turn off a core?

Bajadan236

Alright I have a Q6600 intel quad core at 2.4 Ghz. I want to play counter strike: source, hl2 death match, TF2, and DOD, but Steam is not a multi-core system...yet. So i was wondering how can i turn off 2 cores so i can play Steam games. When ever i play counter strike:source it lets me play for a good 10-15 mins.then it frezzes and quits the games. One of my friends told me that i can download a program that can disable my cores for stweam games games, but i can't seem to find it. Anyone have any idea on what to do?

Thanks

Dan

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You can disable cores in the BIOS, but I doubt that will solve your CSS problem.

Gareth

Set the affinity to run on 1 core.

CTRL - ALT - DEL
go to process
Set affinity
Uncheck all but 1 core

Gareth

Im not too sure if it works, since I don't use steam, but it lets you force what core a program works on.

Kesava

steam may not utilize 4 cores... but you shouldnt have to disable cores to get it to run.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
steam may not utilize 4 cores... but you shouldnt have to disable cores to get it to run.

No, you shouldn't. It's not necessary.

Anyway, you would need to set affinity to at least three different processes in order to completely run CSS with less than four cores. To do that, use Garethman's instructions and right click on all the processes associated with CSS/Steam. Select "Set Affinity" and deselect the cores you do not want to run with that process.

Bajadan236

Ya thanks guys it worked. I just set steam to use 1 core and it ran for a good hour, now im off to bed. But i would like to say thank you guys soooooooo much for the help:D. Thanks again, I'm in such a high ( natural, not drugs) that I'm just so excited to be able to play counter strike: source.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks

Dan

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Ya thanks guys it worked. I just set steam to use 1 core and it ran for a good hour, now im off to bed. But i would like to say thank you guys soooooooo much for the help:D. Thanks again, I'm in such a high ( natural, not drugs) that I'm just so excited to be able to play counter strike: source.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks

Dan

ha ha.

Bajadan236

ok, now all steam games are quitting on me after about 30 mins of playing/having steam open.... I shut down 3 cores, so y dose anyone think this keeps happing???

thanks

Dan

Kesava

i dont think theres any reason to shut off cores. if something isnt multithreaded then it doesnt mean that you need to turn off your cores to get it to run....

Manauffeuer

i think sience you tunred off the other 3 cores the one it over flooded with information thats it causes the shut downs Eg. 4 cores working at 25 % or 1 core at 100%

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i dont think theres any reason to shut off cores. if something isnt multithreaded then it doesnt mean that you need to turn off your cores to get it to run....

yeah i dont think it will make any differance anyway.

when i game my second core doesnt realy do anything,its my first core thats doing the work so i should think it will be the same in your case.