How does an old laptop turned off for 10 years update the date without Internet?

johnnyb58

I’m finally getting rid of all my old computer stuff and discovered an old Win95 laptop that has not been turned on in 10 years or more. The screen was damaged so I was going to use it as a controller operating various security and environmental devices around the house, but technology beat me to it with better options.

Anyway I plugged it in to see if it even worked and the first thing that happened was that it automatically updated the clock and date correctly. I’m shocked because it does not even have a wireless internet card and I just can’t believe that the CMOS battery held up that long. The laptop battery was totally dead and all of my old computer batteries died after only a few years.:confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
It's not that common but it's definitely possible, usually they last around 2-6 years but sometimes they do last 10 years.

johnnyb58

It's not that common but it's definitely possible, usually they last around 2-6 years but sometimes they do last 10 years.

Thanks, I was beginning to think that it had Wi-Fi but quickly ruled that out after going through the network settings and then I remembered that I did not have Wi-Fi back then. I’m still amazed that it was able to keep track of the time in all these years.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
171219-0909_original.jpg

I bet you could get connected with one of these. Haha

johnnyb58

171219-0909_original.jpg

I bet you could get connected with one of these. Haha
Ya I came across a couple of those in my parts drawer, but I've decided to haul all this stuff down to the recycle place. I have enough parts here for 4 or 5 computers and I thought about putting some of it on eBay because they still are in their original boxes, but I'm just so burned out on computer stuff that I don't even want to deal with it anymore.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
Yeah, I know what you mean as far as the burnout goes. I was mainly pointing it out for the nostalgia trip.