How does Physx work?

jgoff14

I was watching the Nvidia Physx movies and it's totally sweet, I just ordered a new computer with 2 gtx 295's in sli and a gts 250 for physx. How is the physx card able to determine what to render and when? Are there only certain games that this works with, and how do I know what they are?

I'm very pleased with this site and the support is amazing.

Thanks in advance.

fedochinni

[edit] Nvidia acquisition
In February 2008, Nvidia bought Ageia and the PhysX engine and has begun integrating it into its CUDA framework, effectively rendering the PhysX add-in card redundant.[7] With Intel's cancellation of Havok FX, PhysX is currently the only available solution for physics hardware acceleration.[8]

In August 2008, Nvidia released drivers that allow GeForce 8 series and above video cards to implement PhysX processing.[9]

[edit] Hardware
[edit] PPU
A physics processing unit (PPU) is a processor specially designed to alleviate calculations from the CPU, specifically calculations involving physics. Soon after the release of Ageia's PPU, graphics card manufacturers announced plans to implement similar functionality via the GPU. Support for the Ageia PPU solution was dropped for Windows 7.[10]

[edit] GPU
A graphics processing unit or GPU (also occasionally called visual processing unit or VPU) is a dedicated graphics rendering device for a personal computer, workstation, or game console. Modern GPUs are very efficient at manipulating and displaying computer graphics, and their highly parallel structure makes them more effective than general-purpose CPUs for a range of complex algorithms such as accelerating physics using PhysX. A GPU can sit on top of a video card, or it can be integrated directly into the motherboard. More than 90%[citation needed] of new desktop and notebook computers have integrated GPUs, which are usually far less powerful than their add-in counterparts.

Any CUDA ready GeForce graphics cards, GeForce series 8 and newer with 32 cores or more with 256MB or more of Video Memory [11], can take advantage of PhysX without the need to install a dedicated PhysX card.

Since the release of the 186 ForceWare drivers it's no longer possible to use a CUDA enabled card for PhysX hardware acceleration when the main GPU is of another brand, such as AMD.[12] The decision was taken due to development expenses, quality assurance and business reasons.[10][13] This decision has caused a backlash from the community that lead to the creation of a community patch for Windows 7 circumventing the Nvidia main GPU check in their updated drivers. Currently this patch only works on GPUs and not PPUs. [14]

[edit] PhysX P1 (PPU) hardware specifications
ASUS and BFG Technologies bought licenses to manufacture AGEIA's only hardware PPU—the PhysX P1 w/ 128MB GDDR3.

Multi-core MIPS architecture-based device with integrated physics acceleration hardware and memory subsystem with "tons of cores"[15]
125 million transistors[16]
182 mm2 die size
Memory: 128 MB GDDR3 RAM on 128-bit interface
Interface: 32-bit PCI 3.0
Sphere collision tests: 530 million per second (maximum capability)
Convex collision tests: 530,000 per second (maximum capability)
Peak Instruction Bandwidth: 20 billion per second
Peak Power Consumption: 30 W
Fabrication Process: 130 nm
Price: Between $100–250 in the USA, £75–145 (inc VAT) in the UK

vandassen

Hi guys, gonna rez this thread for a minute

I'm wondering what GPU's I can use with my eVGA GTS 250 Superclocked 512Mb

My understanding was that I could only SLI two cards of the same family, and couldn't even use 'similar cards', they had to be the same.

now I see physx cards popping up everywhere. are they running GTX 275's in SLI with GTS 250?

I think this could be good for me 'cause I was looking for an upgrade, now I don't think I'll ditch the old card, can you help me understand?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ihatethedukes

A GTX 275 with a GTS 250 running physx is NOT SLI. It's the 275 rendering graphics and the 250 being a PPU. SLI would be the 275 and 250 both rendering graphics together (which cannot be done).

vandassen

very very helpful, thanks

A GTX 275 with a GTS 250 running physx is NOT SLI. It's the 275 rendering graphics and the 250 being a PPU. SLI would be the 275 and 250 both rendering graphics together (which cannot be done).

got it now.

So an other option is to Crossfire with a 3rd gpu (nvidia) for physx...

for right now, I'm considering getting a XFX 5770 1GB, and putting the GTS 250 in the x8 slot, seeing as I'm on an SLI board... no xfire

Then when I change mobo to 1366 (or whatever AMD is coming up with) I will Crossfire 5770's with GTS 250 for Physx. Does this sound like a decent plan for the evolution of my current build?

how much power to add the 5770 to my current build? am I suited with Corsair VX550?

a million thanks! :good:

[EDIT] do I need a hydra mobo??

ganzey

banned
very very helpful, thanks

got it now.

So an other option is to Crossfire with a 3rd gpu (nvidia) for physx...

for right now, I'm considering getting a XFX 5770 1GB, and putting the GTS 250 in the x8 slot, seeing as I'm on an SLI board... no xfire

Then when I change mobo to 1366 (or whatever AMD is coming up with) I will Crossfire 5770's with GTS 250 for Physx. Does this sound like a decent plan for the evolution of my current build?

how much power to add the 5770 to my current build? am I suited with Corsair VX550?

a million thanks! :good:

[EDIT] do I need a hydra mobo??

no, you dont need a hydra mobo.

if you are planning on running 2 5770's and a gts 250 you will need a bigger power supply

vandassen

no, you dont need a hydra mobo.

if you are planning on running 2 5770's and a gts 250 you will need a bigger power supply

so am I safe to say that my current rig can support an additional video card (the 5770 below), as is:

XFX 750i SLI Extreme
XFX 5770 1GB
EVGA GTS 250 SuperClocked 512Mb Physx
Corsair VX550

?

Last edited: