How easy/hard is it to build a PC?

JohnJSal

I'm reading a book (Building the Perfect PC, O'Reilly) about how to do it, and I have to admit it seems just as complicated as I thought it would be. For a while I began to have hope that it was simply a matter of hooking everything up to each other, but with instructions like "check the motherboard manual to see if any jumpers need to be set", I start to feel like there are a million little things that need to be done as well.

So is it really conceivable for a novice like myself (tech-oriented for sure, but no hardware expert) to really put together a system? Or is there just too much you need to know and be prepared for?

Thanks,
John

dougland

I thought it was hard at first but once you actually learn and read about things you'll just be like its easy, and really it all starts around mainly a motherboard just build from there.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
John, welcome to the Forums :) As the previous two Posters mentioned, it's much easier than many people think! There are some great resources out there (theresthatguy posted one) and if you have some basic reasoning skills, you'll be on your way in no time at all :) Post up with any questions you may have (what parts are best, what we prefer, what to stay away from, etc.).

JohnJSal

Thanks guys! I look forward to reading that linked post, which I'm about to do. :) I guess I can't expect to learn it all from one book without any hands-on experience, I just worry about the idea of spending about $1000 on parts and then ruining something because I missed a detail. I'll see how it goes, then maybe soon I'll post a list of parts and see if there's anything weird I should know about them. Choosing a CPU and graphics card is easy, it's the other stuff I might have more options (and less knowledge) for.

JohnJSal

Hmm, that still seemed a bit overwhelming, even though it wasn't as detailed as the book I'm reading. :)

A couple of questions did come to mind though as I looked at the pics:

1. When choosing an optical drive, is it always possible to get one that matches the color of your case?

2. If you want to install or replace something later (e.g. a new HD or upgrade the graphics card), how easy is it to go into the system and do just that? Or does it require that you unplug and remove other parts as well?

Thanks.

Eternal Rest

Pertaining to question 1, typically you can get a drive that matches your case unless it's an unusual colored case. If you get the usual black or beige case it's easy. Any other color might be difficult to find.

The second question, when upgrading a part, you just need to unplug old one and install/plug in the new one. It's not difficult at all. As long as it's compatible, it will be easy.

JohnJSal

The second question, when upgrading a part, you just need to unplug old one and install/plug in the new one. It's not difficult at all. As long as it's compatible, it will be easy.

One thing I read in the book is that it's a good idea to install the processor, cooler, and memory before you put the motherboard in the case, because otherwise you could damage parts, or sometimes the cooler might require you to have access to both sides of the MB anyway.

By extension, it sounds like the authors also remove the MB when upgrading the CPU or memory. Is that just overkill? Do most of you tend to install the MB first, then the other components?

Oddly enough, the authors installed the graphics card *after* the MB was put in. Not sure why that one component was exempt from their rule. Maybe because it's too big to work around otherwise?

spanky

You will find that typically the mobo is installed first. Then the other components afterwards. It gives you a more stability when putting it together. The only exemption I can think of is with aftermarket Heat Sink & Fan where it might require you to install a bracket on the back side of the mobo. Taking a mobo out to install a new cpu or memory is a ridiculous idea.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
One thing I read in the book is that it's a good idea to install the processor, cooler, and memory before you put the motherboard in the case, because otherwise you could damage parts, or sometimes the cooler might require you to have access to both sides of the MB anyway.

By extension, it sounds like the authors also remove the MB when upgrading the CPU or memory. Is that just overkill? Do most of you tend to install the MB first, then the other components?

Oddly enough, the authors installed the graphics card *after* the MB was put in. Not sure why that one component was exempt from their rule. Maybe because it's too big to work around otherwise?

Yes, the CPU/HSF, and RAM are easier to install with the MoBo outside the case.

When upgrading RAM, you can keep it in the case. CPU though, depends. Just the CPU, you can do it in-case. CPU and HSF, have to remove everything.

Graphics Card, easier to install when the MoBo is installed in the case.

Check out this Link Omega made (It's AWESOME for new builders!): http://www.computerforum.com/104641-how-build-computer-step-step-photos.html

Eternal Rest

You don't have to remove the motherboard when you upgrade. If you are having trouble installing a piece, you always have the option to, it's just a lot of unnecessary work. When I build a computer for the first time; however, I install the processor onto the motherboard before installing the motherboard in the case. I find it to be easier than when the mobo is already installed.

The video card is easy to install, that's why they did it after. It also requires popping a cover out of the back of the case so you have access to it. It's easier to do the video card last.

paratwa

And if your a novice, do not get the Antec 900 case. It is a pain to build in. There are much easier cases to use. (like just about every other case made)

But yeah, I agree. Building a system is very easy. Most problems arise when installing the software (OS) and drivers. But if you just take your time, everything will fall into place.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
And if your a novice, do not get the Antec 900 case. It is a pain to build in. There are much easier cases to use. (like just about every other case made)

But yeah, I agree. Building a system is very easy. Most problems arise when installing the software (OS) and drivers. But if you just take your time, everything will fall into place.

For beginners that is :p I'm pretty sure that if you can get the side panel open you can install the parts...

paratwa

For beginners that is :p I'm pretty sure that if you can get the side panel open you can install the parts...

You obviously have not used this case yet. Until you do, you don't know how much a pain it is.

And I don't care how many people say this is a nice case. Yes it has tons of fans, so what! This case is not for the easily challenged. Way to many screws and very strange ways to mount things. Even mounting the hard drives into the cages is different. You have to use a screw that is about 1 inch long to mount them. This case is completly different from any other case I have ever used. And I don't hate it because it's different, I hate it because it was poorly designed.

Can you eventually figure out how to build in it? Yes of course. If Antec had included some decent instructions it would have gone together much easyier. Some of the parts it includes you just can not use. There is a fan mount that attaches to the back of one of the drive cages. If you use it you have no room to run wires, so it is useless. And if you use the fan adapter and attach a fan to it, you can't put a drive in that cage. It's A very stupid design.

It's a decent looking case if you like wire mesh and blue lights. The plastic parts on top of the case where the top fan mounts scratches very easy. The front drive grills are attached with 1 screw on each side. If you bump the grill, it will pivot it into the case so that you then have to open up both sides of the case, loosen the screws, realign the grills, tighten up the screws and then replace both sides of the case. Depending on which grill you have to adjust, you might also have to remove the drive you have in it.

Does this sound like a great case?

I personally think that the people who love this case are to embarresd to admit they screwed up and bought it.

Eternal Rest

I agree with you paratwa. It's also a pain in the ass having the power supply on the bottom of the case because it creates a jumble of wires everywhere that are nearly impossible to hide decently. Though the case does provide really good airflow and an overall cool luck, it is a pain in the ass if you want the inside of your case to look good.

tlarkin

VIP Member
in all honesty, a trained monkey can build a computer. All you are doing is assembling parts in a case, its not hard. You just have to make sure you follow proper procedure on a few things. You need to make sure you heat sink is properly seated on your motherboard, with the right amount of thermal paste. The rest is pretty easy, parts are notched so you can't put them in backwards unless you force it.

So, yeah, it doesn't take a lot of skill to build a computer. The skills come in when you have to keep it running and maintain it.

JohnJSal

So, yeah, it doesn't take a lot of skill to build a computer. The skills come in when you have to keep it running and maintain it.

Good point. Since building your own PC means not having a warranty with a manufacturer like Dell, how do you handle hardware issues? I'm sure every component has a warranty, but is it as easy as calling them up and saying the part died, send a replacement?

Dos Boot

While I had a much easier time installing an AMD CPU and Fan the last go around thanks to better Motherboard ergonomics, I have always had to install the CPU/HSFan with MoBO outside the case. You can easily scratch and ruin you board if you don't do so because the fan has to be clipped to the Mobo over the CPU and requires a lot of direct pressure on a clip. It used to be very easy to slip off the clip and spike the MoBo. So with an AMD system, that will be your hardest part in the assembly stage. The Intel way looks so much easier because of the method of connection. I was so embarrassed :rolleyes:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Good point. Since building your own PC means not having a warranty with a manufacturer like Dell, how do you handle hardware issues? I'm sure every component has a warranty, but is it as easy as calling them up and saying the part died, send a replacement?

All warranties are either with the vendor or the manufacturer direct with that component. That is the only downside of building your own, the warranty is a pain in the butt.