How easy is it to install a proccessor?

Legend 69

I just bought a computer but i think that in the future i might want to change my current proccessor to a quad core from a dual core, would this be easy?

Also this may seem stupid but what do proccessors look like because i couldnt find mine :eek:.

Zangetsu

Hi Legend 69,

This is a Quad Core CPU. Am not sure, but I don't think that you can put a Quad core CPU into a Core 2 duo motherboard. I don't know much about intel, so I could be wrong. Let's wait for some other answers :)

Zangetsu

spanky

Take a look at this website, it shows a cpu and where it goes in the mobo
http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel-socketT/?pg=4
Also remeber the Heat Sink and Fan sit on top of where shoes the cpu is installed. Typical heat sinks look something like the one seen at this link.
http://www.rackmountnet.com/Accesso...t-Sink/INTEL-HEAT-SINK-SOCKET-775-C91968-004/

I don't think that you can put a Quad core CPU into a Core 2 duo motherboard. I don't know much about intel, so I could be wrong.
It is possible. The motherboard just must be specified to support the Core 2 Duo and Quad Cores.

Legend 69

Err, i have no idea really. I was just talking about how hard it would be to upgrade my current PSU to a 4 core proccessor, i assumed it would have to be a AMD as my current proccessor is AMD.

paratwa

It all depends on your motherboard. If it supports Quad core, then it would not be hard at all. Just remove the old CPU and install the new one. Simple as that.

paratwa

Err, i have no idea really. I was just talking about how hard it would be to upgrade my current PSU to a 4 core proccessor, i assumed it would have to be a AMD as my current proccessor is AMD.

Oh and by the way, PSU stands for the Power supply, not the CPU which is the processor.

Legend 69

Lol my bad. My motherboard is in my sig does it support Quad Core do you know? Also how do you install a proccessor is it putting it in the right place and screwing it in or is it more complicated than that?

spanky

Lol my bad. My motherboard is in my sig does it support Quad Core do you know? Also how do you install a proccessor is it putting it in the right place and screwing it in or is it more complicated than that?

Look at my First post in this thread and the link I gave.

StrangleHold

Staff member

If its a AM2 board it will fit but they have to give you bios update for the Phenom when its released and it will run on the AM2 boards spec, so to say the Hypertransport speed will still be 1000mhz, but it shouldnt be much of a performance hit. Watch this video on installing a Athlon 64 processor.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0