How fast is a 7 mbps Connection?

BurningSkyline

My ISP is Qwest, And I'm using their 7mbps package. And to be honest, It doesn't seem that fast. I mean, I Have to wait to watch youtube videos, and A 20 Minute 2000k (HD) stream takes quite a while to buffer. I mean, Is this normal for having a 7 mbps package?

I went to speedtest net and took the test 5 times. Here are the averages:

Download: 1.26
Upload: 0.59
Ping: 156

linkin

VIP Member
That's really bad, ring up and complain. 7mbps is 7168kbps, which equals 896KB/s (amlost one megabyte a second.)

1024kbps = 128KB/s (bits and bytes, theres a difference)

BurningSkyline

That's really bad, ring up and complain. 7mbps is 7168kbps, which equals 896KB/s (amlost one megabyte a second.)

1024kbps = 128KB/s (bits and bytes, theres a difference)

What I don't understand, is that When I'm downloading a song, or something it averages at 156kbps... and I can upload at about 80... I wonder why speed test isn't getting those numbers.

Matthew1990

Depends on the source you are downloading from. Some servers are slower than others, try a download from a FTP and see if it maxes out ur connection.

Blurredman

Until recently I used 2mbs, It was good I thought.

But obviously, if your company are selling you a rated speed of which you are not recieving (try speedtest.net) then you'd need to telephone them.

CrisCros

Slow!!!!!!!!!

My ISP is Qwest, And I'm using their 7mbps package. And to be honest, It doesn't seem that fast. I mean, I Have to wait to watch youtube videos, and A 20 Minute 2000k (HD) stream takes quite a while to buffer. I mean, Is this normal for having a 7 mbps package?

I went to speedtest net and took the test 5 times. Here are the averages:

Download: 1.26
Upload: 0.59
Ping: 156

Well Mine 54.0Mbps so urs is pretty slow

bomberboysk

Call qwest and tell them you are not getting anywhere close to your rated speed, you are getting less than 25% of what they are selling you for rated speed. 150KB/s(Kilobytes) equates to about 1.2Mb/s(Megabits/second) which is about what speedtest is showing.